Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How doo you wire electric fans into a aem? to control them?

reason i ask i do no have room for stock clutch fan being its swapped.

thanks

· Registered
7,567 Posts
General consensus is that after market fans aren't to effective. Well for every five that say they work three say they don't yet four go back to the stock setup. Will a 1jz hydro setup work?

· Speed limits = Guidelines
2,352 Posts
thought about having the AEM running my fans, never got around to doing it...

AEM has a bunch of unused pins...looking at a pinout diagram of the harness you'll see some of them labeled switchs with #s on them.... you wire the fans up to a relay, and then have AEM switch the relay through one of those switch inputs....whether they send out positive or negative current or whether its variable I dont kno, but thats easily testable...

If you go into AEM pro you can pull up the menu in there somewhere for the switch and set the conditions for activition, such as coolant temp. reachs so and so level it will throw the switch and turn the fans on...you can use this set up to control almost any electronic device...sorry I dont have more details, I havent actually done this set up myself yet, I just looked into how I would do it if I ever did.

· Registered
7,567 Posts
my electric fans work very well, I even road race with them. I do run warmer at idle however.
That I don't like. I would be nervous as to what would happen on a really hot day.

The pitch on the stock fan blades is something a lot of people don't consider.

· Registered
7,567 Posts
Ive actually heard of some guys cars overheating, and blaming it on the fans...only to find out they had them blowing in the wrong direction:lol:
Lol I guess you really could sit there and ponder for a minute if you want the fans to blow air on the engine, or suck the air out of the car, which would be funny if you were driving, and all of the air that the fans was pulling out of the car would simply be hitting the car again. Kind of like spitting in the wind:biggrin:

· Speed limits = Guidelines
2,352 Posts
if 2 electric fans isnt enough to cool the engine like stock...theres always the option of putting an extra fan or 2 in front of the radiator/ac coil to push more air through

some peoples cars just need more cooling than others, so many variables, different power levels and other mods can contribute to more or less heat

· SupraForums Sponsor
4,456 Posts
I have road raced my car in 100+ degree heat with the electric fans and did not over heat.
I don't think anyone would disagree that when the car is going down the highway the fans work fine, but have you sat in dead stop rush hour traffic for long periods of time when the temp was over 100 degrees? What does the temp get up to then?

· Registered
4,623 Posts
It gets a bit warmer that it did with the stock fan, which was about 170-175 to about 185-190. I did see water temps reach 195 once.

You have to remember I am running a modified AAP shroud with upgraded fans, not the ones the unit shipped with.

· Registered
113 Posts
I don't think anyone would disagree that when the car is going down the highway the fans work fine, but have you sat in dead stop rush hour traffic for long periods of time when the temp was over 100 degrees? What does the temp get up to then?
I can contest to say that I have sat at shows and on the street for hours waiting with the A/C CRANKING and it being so hot it hurts breath and I have only had a problem with the fan when I forgot to turn it on;) . I have run the FAL fans for three years and never had a problem. As for trusting the AEM to switch on and off your fan as needed, I'd personaly rather be in control, but thats me :agreed:

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well guys thanks for all the responses yea i looked int oa hydro fan setup and considered it... one thing i noticed with fans was i had a 14 inch fan that moved 1800cfm and now i have 2 8 inch fans that flow 2100cfm each. and a shroud and so far it helped out alot i just want aem to control them or put in a aftermarket thermoswitch to control them.

· Registered
7,567 Posts
well guys thanks for all the responses yea i looked int oa hydro fan setup and considered it... one thing i noticed with fans was i had a 14 inch fan that moved 1800cfm and now i have 2 8 inch fans that flow 2100cfm each. and a shroud and so far it helped out alot i just want aem to control them or put in a aftermarket thermoswitch to control them.
Or you could just have it come on with the ignition.

· Blood for Blood
9,923 Posts
Run the fans off a GS300 or IS300 with the 2jz in it. They work great.
^ what CFM are they?

I have been running my flex-a-lite fans for a long time here in San Diego and the OC and LA... and they have been to SILV in Las Vegas with me and to AZ with some buddies and I... so they work very very well...

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/electric-fans.html

^ check the link and the info on them to see how to fit them and the CFM for your Supra

I dont know how to set them up with the AEM EMS ... I would set them up kinda how I have mine. On a 3 way switch ... the center of the switch is my fans on when the temp gets hot via the factory trans temp on the bottom of the radiator. With the switch to the top the fans are on all the time even if I shut the car off and take the key out. With the switch down the fans are on while the car is on.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
not sure so far i dont see temps over 192 in 3 days with fans on all the time. seeing i havent figured out aem deal yet.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
steven yeah ill figure out eventually drive your car next week so we can go tuning

· SupraForums Sponsor
4,456 Posts
It gets a bit warmer that it did with the stock fan, which was about 170-175 to about 185-190. I did see water temps reach 195 once.

You have to remember I am running a modified AAP shroud with upgraded fans, not the ones the unit shipped with.

What thermostat do you run on your setup?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.