Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried/ or succesfully made their hatch electrical? I am sick of my ghettofab cable that i got from napa that turned out to be about 4 inches to short, wtf, so I was thinking of making it electric it might be easier to keep it a cable but it would be cooler to have it be elec, lmk thanx guys

·
Supras Invade Las Vegas
2,385 Posts
Is very easy actually. I've had my fuel door on a solenoid since 99 - I believe. I've got the hatch all wired up and the solenoid mounted for the hatch. I have to fix the outside key first before I go full time with this but I have tested it and it works GREAT! I'll be able to remove both levers from the drivers footwell.

Once you open things up back there it becomes very clear what you need to do. Simply mount the solenoid and run a short length of cable - any number of options for that. Then just wire up the + and a button and you are good to go.

This is one of those "Duh" mods that all you have to do is take a few minutes with the hardware in your hand and it will come to you.

Keith

·
me me me me me me!!!
483 Posts
mines electric it runs off my viper alarm. it's handy, i got the car this way so i'm not sure exactly what's involved.

although it's convienent i wonder how involved it'll be to fix it when it stops working.

·
Supras Invade Las Vegas
2,385 Posts
What is involved...
12V+
A button
A solenoid
A short Cable - to replace the LONG cable to the drivers seat
A ground

Having it part of your alarm makes it a bit trickier but the alarm is basically the button.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
there's a kit you can buy that has the solenoid, a relay, and a few other parts. It didn't look hard to install, and my alarm has like 6 channels or something so I could just program it to one of them. If you don't have aftermarket alarm, getting a remote release would be difficult, but a button would be easy to rig up to the relay.

·
Supras Invade Las Vegas
2,385 Posts
Autoloc.com - I've got their solenoids for the fuel door and hatch. I also have them (but not installed) for the doors.

·
239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,882 Posts
hmm.. i wouldnt mind one. write up?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
^^^Sure, send me a solenoid.

Seriously, they're very easy to install. I can take some pics of the linkage the solenoid triggers tomorrow. Point out the two cables attached to it and label which is which. I don't have a kit installed, but that may be more than enough for most.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Okay, I'll put something together this weekend. Hopefully tomorrow.

I can tell you all this first though, our cars are easily adapted to an electronic release. I've seen some where the latch mechanism had to be heavily modified if not entirely replaced.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
There really isn't a need for a shorter cable or any cable when you are using a solinoid, once you really look at it, you just got to hook the solinoid to the release mechanism of the back hatch and your good to go, when/if I find time, i'll take a picture of my setup... aight peace :chicken:

·
92 TURBO
1,009 Posts
nose-gobblin said:
Has anyone tried/ or succesfully made their hatch electrical? I am sick of my ghettofab cable that i got from napa that turned out to be about 4 inches to short, wtf, so I was thinking of making it electric it might be easier to keep it a cable but it would be cooler to have it be elec, lmk thanx guys
^ It was available on the Supra but only in Europe and south Africa. Here's the release soleniod with Toyota part #

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/EPC/MKIII/291220/8511_1.html

I'm going to see if I can order it.

Mike

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea it easy just wasnt sure if any one had cared to try, ty guys

·
239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,882 Posts
bumping this thread..

for the guys who's using the solenoid:
does it yank hard when power(12v) is applied? i just bought one and it doesn't yank hard at all...

·
92 TURBO
1,009 Posts
drjonez said:
interesting. any luck?

^ NO luck at all. Part # 85450-14290 will not come up according to the parts manager at Toyota who is a friend of mine. I told him it was a solenoid assy. for the rear hatch of European/South American Supras. He says Toyota won't allow US dealers to get parts for non- North American cars so the system will not show these part #s. He did say it's a Lexus part # and gave me the phone # for the closet Lexus dealer's parts department to try. I ran the part # by Lexus, they're also showing NO such part # in their computer.

Mike

·
Level 2 Rhythm Rogue
258 Posts
I'm going to probably do this pretty soon as well. I have a spare trunk pop solenoid from my other car that I'll mount in there.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
SupraMikeCT said:
^ NO luck at all. Part # 85450-14290 will not come up according to the parts manager at Toyota who is a friend of mine. I told him it was a solenoid assy. for the rear hatch of European/South American Supras. He says Toyota won't allow US dealers to get parts for non- North American cars so the system will not show these part #s. He did say it's a Lexus part # and gave me the phone # for the closet Lexus dealer's parts department to try. I ran the part # by Lexus, they're also showing NO such part # in their computer.

Mike
It came in Canada too, I'll check with my dealer.

EDIT: I can get it, but you really wouldn't like the price. Go aftermarket.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts