Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could we do this for our cars? they make it for the mk4.. would it be worth it?

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
-give up some hp
-full circulation of coolant full time, even at idle
-possibility to make it work when the engine is shut down
probably more...
I don' see alot of disadvantage

I'm pretty sure it would be a damn good mod, but I doubt it's available for our application.:(

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh I'm sure it isnt availible, but maybe we could make it custom...

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
damn you beat me to it, I was gonna post this question...

anyway, less stress on engine, full flow (of that pump) at idle, more throttle response, more power, more room in engine bay.

the only bad thing i can think of would be that you would have to switch to electric fans (depending on the type of electric pump).

but I would get em anyway, I wanna get as little things as possible that the crank has to turn.. that'd be sweet :)

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, it sounds like the general consensus, is this is a good idea. does anyone have any info on how to make it? I have never seen the inside of the waterpump housing so i dont know what would need to be done. but, how about this. making a plate to replace the water pump, and connect the electric water pump to the lower radiator hose? would that work?

N

·
0 Posts
the only negative effects i can think of is the increased strain on the alternator and the battery

also, mechanical has been more reliable more often than electrical anything, but if it could be done reliably, then it would be a good idea, i wouldnt want my water pump to stop working b/c of some electrical problem or overloading the motor

·
Registered
590 Posts
This could definitely be helpful epecially if paired with electric fans.
I remember hearing something about the cooling system being the most pressurized after being run and shut off. There is no circulation and the heat is stagnant. Something could possibly be worked out as to where the water pump and fans stay on after the car is turned off. Thus circulating the water and greatly reducing the temps of the water. Or something. Ask Shawndude what the benifits of this would be, he knows everything.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i didnt even think of that, this could effectivly make turbo timers obsolete! well at leats for wet cartrige turbos! it would be an easy circut, or i guess you could even use a turbo timer, to control the water pump.... Ya, shawndude, care to help?

·
I live in a giant bucket.
1,237 Posts
well aside from the fact that the motor would burn out way too quickly, you could theoretically gut the stock water pump of its blades, couldn't you?

S

·
0 Posts
I've looked into this before, as the pump has been on the market for years.

After thrashing over it all, I came to the conclusion that why fix something that isn't broken? The stock system works fine, and even heat soak after shutdown isn't a big problem, all cars do it, and it isn't directly harmful.

I think a pre/post oiler system would be money better spent instead. It would built up oil pressure before startup, and keep the oil flowing after shutdown. I think this would be directly more beneficial overall, but then the extra complexity, cost, weight and more things to break. Keeping things simple has it's advantages.

Not sure if that helped. Any specific question that I may be able to answer?

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
supraian said:
only lasts for about 2000 hours, wouldn't be to good for daily drivers
:agreed: Even only driving for 1 hour a day, the pump would only last ~5 years.

I also agree with Sdude. A pre/post oiler would be good. I know that Accusump (http://www.accusump.com/) has preoiler and also offers a turbo post-oiler. I dont know how well they work though.

Now here is a thought: is there a way to rig a generic electic water pump to run for a minuite or two only after the car is shut off? You would have to make sure that it didnt cause a restriction while the engine was running, but that (and the oil system too) after shut off would be ideal.

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
conundrum07 said:
:agreed: Even only driving for 1 hour a day, the pump would only last ~5 years.
5 years? damn, I wonder if I would even still have my supra... that's not a short time, specially for how easy the waterpump is to replace. Gotta remember that it will add power, and way better throttle response as well...

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
FredTurbo said:
I don' see alot of disadvantage
1) Significant increase in alternator load.
2) Required electric cooling fans.
3) Possible over-heating due to said fans.

The "extra power" will happily be sucked up by the alternator, and the difference in throttle response would be marginal.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
:agreed:

You maked me change idea!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts