Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day my Defi setup and my kenwood nav unit both went out... I took everything apart and found out that one of the wires for the defi system was loose... I fixed the loose wire and the defi and kenwood both work now... The only problem is that the defi system and the head unit don't shut off when the key is out of the ignition... Its like they are connected straight to the battery... I looked at all the other wires and everything looks fine... Maybe the wiring is messed up on the defi? I dont know... Does someone have a picture of the wiring of theirs? Any other possibilities?

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
You have something tapped into constant 12v rather then switched 12 source.

Use a test light and look at the wiring colors for both the defi and kenwood to put the wires where they belong.

·
Banned
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have something tapped into constant 12v rather then switched 12 source.

Use a test light and look at the wiring colors for both the defi and kenwood to put the wires where they belong.
the defi system is tapped into the head unit for power... I never even touch these wires before... I dont know what could have happened...

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Get a test light and see if the RED wire on your radio is getting constant 12v with the key off... you will need to move the red wire to a switched 12v source. The only wire from your headunit that should be getting constant 12v is the YELLOW wire.

·
Banned
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a test light and see if the RED wire on your radio is getting constant 12v with the key off... you will need to move the red wire to a switched 12v source. The only wire from your headunit that should be getting constant 12v is the YELLOW wire.
Damn Kirk you are a freaking nerd... Took me about a hour of messing around to figure that crap out... Ok the yellow is getting constant 12V... The red should be an ignition wire that gets 12v with the ignition on... The red wire isnt getting 12v with the power on... There is that grey wire that the red connects to on the harness... I guess that is not functioning properly... Does that one go to the ecu? Tried to track it back but couldn't find it... Anyway... I hacked into a wire that I new was working as an ignition wire... Obviously the head unit works properly now... That was the issue with that... The weird thing is the Defi system... You have four wires coming out of it... Black = ground, white = illumination... Thats the easy part... Now for the wierd part ... the two other wires are red and orange... the red is supposed to get the constant 12v and the orange is supposed to get the ignition... when I hook it up that way the defi system just stays on... wtf... I was thinking about scratching the orange wire and just hook up the red wire to the working ignition switch... Would that work or do I realy need to connect both... Sorry if I confused you... If you need i'll pm you my number... also I was messing around with the ecu trying to figure out were that grey wire went to and I received a freaking monster shock... no way that crap is 12v...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts