Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the first day bringing the supra out from storage to the exhaust shop to get the exhaust fabbed up.
During the winter I took off the front driver side caliper and left the brake line loose to drip into a cup for a few mins. The fluid level in the master didn't go to Empty, it was in the middle.
In any case, we bled all 4 brakes furthest to closest of the master until only fuild came out.
Today on the drive to teh shop, my brakes were suddenly working like shit, and very soon worked about 5%!!! I had to keep pumping and pumping hte pedal to get SOME kind of pressure back. FYI- the car also kept stalling because it was running a shitty map on the map-ecu.

My question, I'm guessing the master has air, so what is the proper prodecure to bleed the master? We bled the 4 calipers with 2 ppl... I pumped them up, then my dad opened the valve quickly as i pressed the pedal down and he closed it.

Any ideas? I can't drive the car like this

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
It sounds like you just need to bleed more thru each calliper. If you drained all the lines, it will take a good number of "bleeds" to get all the air out and get the new fluid all the way to the calliper. Also, the ABS pump might need bleeding, though this shouldnt be affecting normal braking i dont think. I searched "bleed abs" and came up with these:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/search.php?searchid=991174

Good luck

Gene

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I went through all the threads with the query "brake master" in the mkiv sections. I've found one that says to pull the two brake lines on the engine side of the master and bleed it from there.
I'm NA so I don't have trac, but would I still have an ABS pump?

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
I've never heard of anyone having to bleed the master cylinder before. If there is air up there, then you really just need to bleed it out thru the callipers. You will use up a lot of fluid bleeding the callipers out that much, but that's the way i'd do it if I were you. Yes I'd imagine your car will have abs pump. The lines from the master cyl will run to the pump.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Why don't you just use a brake bleeder? Check out MityVac it has a tube that goes to your brake caliper and you just vuccum the fluid out. One man job.

·
Power Speed
182 Posts
Is the pedal dropping when at a stop? or does it just feel spongy? also was the old fluid extremely dirty(black) before you changed it?

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

I got my exhaust done and now my brakes are fixed. Dunno wtf was up with it but all's well now.

What vac are you guys reading during idle? I'm getting like -8 to -9 inHg, but when letting off throttle cruising i'm getting around -20 to -22.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts