Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my car tested PASSED everything by a wide margin except HC. I missed by 14. The limit was 100 my car was 114. this is unspent fuel.
What can I do to pass ? What causes HC to be high, the test station told me to adjust my timing? lol
I ran CRC guaranteed to pass crap.
I have a VPC /SAFC but this shouldn't affect this seeing we were at 1850rpm? correct?
They told me car is running great and 14 is miniscule.
I'd appreciate advice from the guys that know this stuff.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Crank up your timing a bit and drive it very gently to the test area, and you'll pass.

Most all emissions testing is a joke, tiny alterations in timing and fuel maps can make you read lower than most LEV's, at least under "ideal" conditions. ;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Simba said:
Crank up your timing a bit and drive it very gently to the test area, and you'll pass.

Most all emissions testing is a joke, tiny alterations in timing and fuel maps can make you read lower than most LEV's, at least under "ideal" conditions. ;)
He has no way to adjust his timing with a stock ECU.

The advice I've seen posted is to drive the car for a while under reasonably heavy load to heat up the cats and then keep it running and get it tested as soon as possible. Some have advised leaning it out a bit but the stock ECu will probably adjust that out unless you do it right before they test the car.

You could try searching the MKIV mailing list for emmissions. The subject has come up a number of times. There are archives at MKIV.com. I think they are searchable. The one at Yahoo definitely is but only a few hundred posts at a time.

Mike

Mike

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike,
thanks a bunch, I did some serious searches for this subject net wide lots of info. I cannot adjust timing and my SAFC will not take fuel out @ 1850 rpm's where the test is done at.
I just remembered what my problem is, I left the COLDER plugs in!! I swapped out my cats and changed oil(this affects HC) but it just dawned on me the plugs are still BPU.
My car didn't pass one part of three, the other parts it flew through. The HC is fuel. 14 parts per million is so tiny its a joke I have to go back even!
Anyway thanks....I'll keep you posted on the re-test. Hotter plugs will for sure clean it up.

·
Old School
4,182 Posts
I hope the plugs work for you, but my car has passed California smog 3 times with NGK 6097's gapped at .0315.

The car sat for at least an hour before being tested, using the stock downpipe my HC emmissions at idle and 2500 rpm were less than 10 ppm.

Do you have the infamous morning puff of smoke? Leaky valve stem seals will push your HC up on an otherwise well running car.

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No just a blown turbo!:) I have the cats back on not sure I mentioned that? So the gap was 32 and one set colder. They are now at 44 and the normal stock set.
The car is idling a lot smoother. Well emissions was down for repairs today so no testing.
I agree 100% is should be alot lower. My other readings were miniscule. Are you running a DP for emissions?

·
Old School
4,182 Posts
kaosv1 said:
No just a blown turbo!:) I have the cats back on not sure I mentioned that? So the gap was 32 and one set colder. They are now at 44 and the normal stock set.
The car is idling a lot smoother. Well emissions was down for repairs today so no testing.
I agree 100% is should be alot lower. My other readings were miniscule. Are you running a DP for emissions?
Blown turbo, that would out some oil, and probably is what's causing you to fail. :)

I have the stock cats (both) in when I smog.

The hotter new plugs might get you a pass, you're darn close as it is.

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fingers crossed, the car is so close. One way or another we will pass. lol

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't even go into emissions testing being a joke! It's a revenue provider for states. I'm all for clean air although it's gone too far in some cases.
Why does a car thats used 2k miles a year need emission testing. Special interest vehicles means, state vehicles only here! SAD....

Now we have to make an apointment, we never see the test being done, then some yoko tells you it failed. The service manager tells me we can fix the car guaranteed, once it passes we will return the car back to it's original state? FACT...
.....thats exactly what he told me.

So now the 20 bucks gets two cuts one for the(12.50) station and one for a(7.50) company, Agbar, thats in court more than Johnnie Cochran. They simply set a failure rate like 15% and all those cars need repairs, the shops win, the state wins twice it's all taxed. Then some yoko works on my car who just told me to turn back my distributor (certified by agbar) 4 degree's and it will PASS, hum if I only had a distributor.:rolleyes:
I tried to get the car in under rare vehicles.:D
The special interest vehicles need an amendment. Boats running daily no emissions tests pollute more than any car driven 2k miles a yr. I could go on for hrs.

To top all this off.. our air here in our state gets blown in from Ohio Valley so if they are polluting we get it. FACT.....
:mad:
Anyway back to helping people pass emission tests! There are a few excellent sites with great information on how to pass.

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
One more quick tidbit your car 96-98 would not need sniffer testing here. They simply check engine codes........

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,187 Posts
kaosv1 said:
One more quick tidbit your car 96-98 don't need sniffer testing. They simply check engine codes........
Odd. My 97TT was sniffered back in '01, and I'm about to get it smogged again this morning...

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in Connecticut OBD2 cars get simple code checks.
Good luck......

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
yeah here they do the obdii check codes, and if your check engine light is on they wont even bother testing your car

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Passed....

Well running the stock plugs it passed EASY. YES, blown turbo and all. I know the HC's would drop dramatically with less oil spewing from the turbo. :D

Dropped 54ppm on the Hydro carbons.

thanks to those who replied!
and Happy New Year !!:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts