Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im rebuilding a supra thats been sitting for quite some time. I have a wanted post up for an EGR cooler, but ive been wondering. Do i really need it? Im contemplating just using egr block off plates. Only problem is, the car will be moving down to California upon completion. Will the car pass California emissions without the egr? Anyone have any experience with these in Cali?

· Registered
197 Posts
Yea, they pretty strict in Cali. Lol you can barely get away with putting anything modified in your engine without a bunch of papers. Gotta be/look stock when you get it smogged.

12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, i know. I remember when i had my 1jz smogged. Looked completely stock, they didnt know what they were looking at. But hey, it passed with flying colors! Best part about it was one of the injector drivers crapped IMMEDIATELY after doing smog. Perfect timing.

· Batshit crazy old bastard
10,695 Posts
When registering an out of state car in Cali, you will have to make an appointment and take it to the DMV where it will get a visual inspection. Without the EGR you will fail and not be able to register the car. You are also required to bring a "passed" smog inspection with you to the DMV. Again, without the EGR you will not pass smog.

Your sig says you have an '87, that means you will have to get your smog done at a "repair only" facility, where it will get more testing than at a normal smog station.

This state sucks for modified cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.