Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is possibly a stupid question, but I was curious and figured I would ask anyways.

How do you guys pass emissions with your swapped/upgraded engines(1J/2J/NA-T)? I remember hearing that a car will insta-fail if its not the engine that matches the VIN.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
depends on where you go to get your car etested. it's almost impossible for the guy to read (under p/s pump) the serial number on the block, and even if he does, it doesn't match your vin.

the only way is if he checks to see that your car came with a 7m and now it has a 1/2j, but even then, if you pull the 1/2jz-gte sticker off the timing cover, how is he to know unless he knows those engines from before?

what you WILL fail on is not have the egr valve and evaporator canister not hooked up if they look

·
0 to gas station in 5 sec
1,012 Posts
In CT, they don't check to see if the engine is original, hell they don't even open the hood.

If you pass the sniffer test, and they look under your car and see the catalytic converter, you're all set.

My 1jz with a highflow cat passed CT emissions with no problem. In fact, it put out less emissions than many cars I've owned.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In CT, they don't check to see if the engine is original, hell they don't even open the hood.

If you pass the sniffer test, and they look under your car and see the catalytic converter, you're all set.

My 1jz with a highflow cat passed CT emissions with no problem. In fact, it put out less emissions than many cars I've owned.
Ahh okay thats good to know. But bad news for my friend lol He sold his GSX and his JDM motor for it because he heard(from a lot of people) he wouldnt be able to do the swap and pass emissions lol. Looking at that I got a little worried I guess.

Also, isnt there a law saying if a car is older than 25 years it doesn't have to go for emissions anymore?

·
TOASTY!
737 Posts
Also, isnt there a law saying if a car is older than 25 years it doesn't have to go for emissions anymore?
Yes, it is called Collector Car registration, the catch is you need to have Collector Car insurance which most companies require multiple pictures and a really good reason why a mid eightys Supra is considered a rare collector car. :)

·
Proud MKIII Owner
2,408 Posts
Luckily In Maryland Most Mkiii's Qualify For Historic Tags, Which Means No Emissions, No State Inspection, And You Don't Even Need Collectors Insurance. My Suggestion, Move To Maryland!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts