Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to do emmissions later this year. I have a set of cats to oput back on and I am confident I will pass the OBDII test but is there a way to stop the smoking on startup temporarily till I can get the stems replaced? (just long enough to pass this stupid test?)

Jeff

·
Registered
132 Posts
463supra said:
I have to do emmissions later this year. I have a set of cats to oput back on and I am confident I will pass the OBDII test but is there a way to stop the smoking on startup temporarily till I can get the stems replaced? (just long enough to pass this stupid test?)

Jeff
i have odbI and i passed the dyno roller with really bad stem seals.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have to get on a dyno roller, just a gas cap check, obdII hookup, cat visual. but it smokes like a bitch when taking off from a stop or on startup.....

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stlsupra said:
i wouldn't worry about it for emissions, my car use to fill the garage up with smoke that you couldn't see the other side. but i would def recommend fixing the seals ;-)
yes fixing them is in the plans but when is still in question. I wont be doing it myself. So you think as long as the OBDII test is fine they wont care about the puff of blue smoke :rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
463supra said:
yes fixing them is in the plans but when is still in question. I wont be doing it myself. So you think as long as the OBDII test is fine they wont care about the puff of blue smoke :rolleyes: :)
You might want to go to your local smog station and ask them first. If they say it's OK, then have them smog it. If not find another station or fix it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will probably just go try it when the time comes and deal with whatever after I see what they say....?

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
463supra said:
I dont have to get on a dyno roller, just a gas cap check, obdII hookup, cat visual. but it smokes like a bitch when taking off from a stop or on startup.....

Well if it smokes after sitting for awile, that isnt valve stem seals.

Plus the amount of smoke your car puts out wont effect passing or not, it just pisses the tech off and can contaminate the machine. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ckanderson said:
Well if it smokes after sitting for awile, that isnt valve stem seals.

Plus the amount of smoke your car puts out wont effect passing or not, it just pisses the tech off and can contaminate the machine. :bigthumb:
if your car sits for awhile and smokes is the first classic sign of valve stem seals...

i'd say if the inspector sees smoke he might skip the odb2 test and just put it on the exhaust check. which if your running cats it will not matter in the least.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
stlsupra said:
if your car sits for awhile and smokes is the first classic sign of valve stem seals...
Yes... sits for awile with the engine OFF. not sitting at a stoplight. When your at a stoplight and you take off, it smokes thats a good sign that it's the turbo.

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
actually, if it smokes at a stoplight that is also a sign of stem seals. Was for my supra and for several other supras I have helped with or done.

Startup or idle for awhile. Also when you get on it good and sometimes when you let off.

They are a weak spot in the motor, but luckily they are totally benign when they fail.

-M

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe my turbos are just fine. I do think its the stems. If I idle up to a stop light and then take off no smoke. but if I drive right up and stop, then go after a minute or 2 it will puff out smoke on takeoff....

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
it's the seals. Classic symptoms. The seem to have a limit of mileage and time. In otherwords, they seem to be good for about 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. The material they used to use isn't as good as the new viton materials you can get. I prefer to stick with stock, because after 6-8 years you should be back in there for other things anyway, but the viton seals should go for much longer.

-M

·
Registered
967 Posts
98mkiv said:
it's the seals. Classic symptoms. The seem to have a limit of mileage and time. In otherwords, they seem to be good for about 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. The material they used to use isn't as good as the new viton materials you can get. I prefer to stick with stock, because after 6-8 years you should be back in there for other things anyway, but the viton seals should go for much longer.

-M

That is what I always thought, thats why ckanderson's posts were worrying me a bit. If the car sits for a few days or more, nice big cloud of smoke/condensation on startup. Then, if I blip the throttle at idle I get a tiny puff, if it has been idling for a long time and I blip it, a much bigger puff that lasts a few seconds then eventually stops. I believe if it was the turbo seals it would happen even at idle w/o blipping the throttle right? While idling without throttle, isnt that when the seals are most suspect to leaking? Also, im catless right now, would a highflow or stock dp be able to block most or all of the smoke?

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Dont let my posts worry you.. im just a professional mechanic.. I know nothing

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
honda and 463, why don't you solve this for us. Do your stem seals and tell us what happens.

-M

·
Registered
967 Posts
Ckanderson said:
Dont let my posts worry you.. im just a professional mechanic.. I know nothing
haha nice. So in my case would you think its the stem seals or turbo seals? I am not sure if it has been happening all the time but I noticed it the most after I did a couple high boost pulls.

·
Registered
967 Posts
also, I get very very little oil in my IC piping and do not use much oil, do you still think it could be the turbo seals?

also---- if its the turbo seals wont it smoke at idle as well even w/o blipping the throttle?

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
TYPICALY..... oil in the IC piping is not always a sign of a bad turbo, the way the PCV system is set up on supra's alows oil vapor into the intake, thus coating your pipes in oil. and for idle with smoke... not usualy.. if you just sit there and idle the oil would be collecting in the turbine housing, then you give it gas and the heat from the exhaust burn the oil instantly. thus smoke. I can't diagnose your car over the internet, but the CLASIC way to tell if your valve guide seals are going bad (which happens VERY frequently on jz engines ) is to put it in 1st gear drive up to ~6500 rpm then let off the gas completly, let it rev down to 1500 and push in the clutch. see if smoke is coming out of your tail pipe on decel. this is a VERY easy way to test valve guide seals.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Ckanderson said:
TYPICALY..... oil in the IC piping is not always a sign of a bad turbo, the way the PCV system is set up on supra's alows oil vapor into the intake, thus coating your pipes in oil. and for idle with smoke... not usualy.. if you just sit there and idle the oil would be collecting in the turbine housing, then you give it gas and the heat from the exhaust burn the oil instantly. thus smoke. I can't diagnose your car over the internet, but the CLASIC way to tell if your valve guide seals are going bad (which happens VERY frequently on jz engines ) is to put it in 1st gear drive up to ~6500 rpm then let off the gas completly, let it rev down to 1500 and push in the clutch. see if smoke is coming out of your tail pipe on decel. this is a VERY easy way to test valve guide seals.

so if its a turbo seal it will not smoke while doing that first gear test? When you say bring it up that high, you mean light throttle right?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts