Supra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a stock 97 turbo with 175k miles on it. I live in California and drive the car at times to work or just for fun on the weekends. Since getting the car, I've rebuilt the turbos to GT28 with ball bearings (so I could keep the original housings and not cause smog check problems), had a valve job, and replaced the fuel injectors. Is it worth it to replace the EMS? What are the pros and cons? I was thinking of the AEM Infinity 6 EMS for the car to help control the big boost in HP. I also added a AEM Tru Boost gauge to the car (but the controller is not hooked up right now, just the gauge itself). Also, would changing out the EMS bypass the speed limiter?

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,161 Posts
The factory computer needs to be in the car in order to pass SMOG in California (kind of a touchy subject on the forum BTW). Yes switching to standalone will provide many benefits. Not only are we capable of adjusting every parameter on your specific car but the protections and safety features we put in place allow you to really drive the car without worry. Personally I think if you just want to keep the stock "upgraded" twins and you enjoy the car and SMOG matters to you then keep it on the stock ECU. You'll have plenty of fun. If you want to make more power on upgraded twins then you have the ability to do so (without getting into too much detail because you live in California) even with the stock computer too. Not sure what you mean by "replace fuel injectors". I'm assuming you just replaced them with another set of factory 550cc injectors.

Regarding engine management, the first question is are you on automatic or 6spd transmission? Regardless, the answer to this question 99% of the time is ProEFI. It does everything most (almost all) of us will ever have to do and it does it amazingly well. For a full package without tuning you're looking at around $3100 the last time I checked. If you are automatic this is your only option as the AEM cannot control line pressure for the auto trans. If you are a 6spd car, you can run the AEM Infinity 6 and yes it is like $600 cheaper for the full package (when I say full package I mean box, adapter harness, IAT, wideband, 150psi sensor x2 for fuel and oil, MAP sensor, 12 position switch, and boost solenoid). You will not need a boost controller (or gauge for that matter unless you actually want to look) with a standalone. The parameters are already set in the calibration itself and it will protect you from any overboosting issues and you will be able to control wastegate duty/boost pressure with a 12 position switch (AEM) or iBoost switch (ProEFI).

And yes you can go as fast as you want with a standalone lol

1 - 2 of 2 Posts