Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 19 years of Supra ownership the last 13 with a mkiv I watched as the new owner drove away in my now his car.
I am a car guy. I have always loved fast cars. As I kid I grew up during the 'muscle car era' I really wanted my friend Bobbys nassua blue 67 tri power GTO convertable. I had a 63 389 bonneville coupe instead. When hitest went to over 48 cents a gallon I switched over to an Ople manta and discovered foreign cars. I have owend a v-6 capri, 280Z opel GT VW sirroco before I was able to afford a brand new Toyota mark III turbo, I moded it with an exhaust and mbc and thought it was the fasted thing on 4 wheels. When the mark IV came out I bought one in July( they came out in June 93) I never thought I would keep it 13 years. They say the two best times of ownership it buying it and selling it. Not true for my supra. i had real mixed emotions as I saw it sail down the drive way with someone else driving it. I hope he enjoys it as much as I have. These are incredible cars and this has been a great community of guys too. I am thinking of getting a corvette convertible ( yikes GM after all these years) or maybe if the rumors of an 07 skyline( ? 500 hp awd 50000) come true I will buy one of those. It is an incredible shame there is no mkv supra. As the age of the typical toyota owner increases even Caddilac is trying to drive their avg age of owner to more youthful levels. I will lurk for a while and then gradualy fade into the sunset david

·
There can only be one!
1,604 Posts
:bsflag:

You'll be back.

:) In all seriousness, the day I sold my mkiv was a very sad day for me. Hope you don't regret it later like i will. Best of luck in whatever you do.

:sadwavey:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the kind words
btw Ihave owned supra as long as you have been alive 53 and lovin it too

:)

·
Registered
980 Posts
so what made you do it? just need a change?

i thought about selling it and getting something else, but i know that the "everything else" is easy obtainable by everyone else.

while i can afford alot of really nice cars, the mkiv has everything i want. reliabilty, exclusivity, sexy/exotic looks, and is extremely powerful when modded correctly.

i cant believe you didnt go single after all the years and your need for speed. should have dumped $6-10k in the car and experienced and entirely new supra.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to say exactly I was not driving the car as much. I think it became more about owning the car rather then enjoying it as a vehicle. I think it was just time for a change. David

·
MKIV intervention needed
3,020 Posts
i fucked up too and sold my black wingless premiere edition.
it took me two years to find another one.

·
I CAN HAS WELFARE
3,413 Posts
I say in less than 1 year you will have another...Wanna take bets.

·
606 Posts
Agreed, I really regret selling mine, you will be back as will I.

Its just a matter of finding the right car. I feel your pain, seeing the new owner drive it out of your driveway is a very sad experience. Best of luck with your new search.

·
Registered
149 Posts
StudMuffin said:
This is a pretty sad thread :(

What mileage/condition was your supra in?
Can't remember the mileage, but from the pics in the for sale thread the car looked immaculate.

edit:
His thread says 84K

·
Registered
128 Posts
You will be back

I'm 33 and kinda in the same boat, however I sold my 95 6 spd about 2 1/12 years ago and bought a 98 LEX SC400 thinking it would be close to a supra, (NOT CLOSE) nice car but not a supra. I as well had many 280 Z's, 300zx, then I bought a 91 MKIII Turbo, I was hooked. As of today I have a 94 .61 single Auto and I love it. I can not see myself without a SUPRA. I have a honda civic for a daily driver and a 88 RX7 TII I just picked up, but 7 is going to be sold. Best of LUCK. but if I was a betting man I would give you 9 to 12 months befor your butts back driving a SUP, 1 month and you will be looking to buy another. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
As much as I love the supra( and after 19 years you know I did) but this is a divorce amicable but a divorce. I am going to enjoy being single and lookling at all the great high hp cars that are availible again. Z06 500 hp stock the skyline is going to be a hummer and awd sounds interesting, the plane old vette as a convertable witht the z51 is a possiblity as well. If none of thsoe tickle me I can always come back to the fold.
As mentioned above the performance and exclusivity of these cars is impossible to beat. the supra always had the real cars guys looking while the general public did nto have a clue what it was which was fine by me. These cars are incredibly well enginerred. the styling in my opinion was current and better then some of the stuff you see now. I think the car guys in Toyota hit a home run, but since the car did not sell well in the US market (becasue the era of SUV was just dawning 13 years ago) they lost there corperate shirt on it. I think that has made them reticent to release another Top dog car. I am a typcial example of why they should treat 19 years of loyalty to the brand and the $ is burning a hole in my pocket if there was a MK V that was as good as the mk IV that would be at the top of my list.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That's a sad story man :( But I hope you don't leave the forum any time soon. I have always liked your car, nice and clean, and you are on of the lucky people that was the original owner of one of these awsome cars. I wish you the best of luck in the future, and keep us updated :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm guessing he paid $50k for it brand new. Worth every penny.

How many people would plunk down $50k for a brand new 2005 MKIV if they were re-produced now? ALOT!

·
Registered
128 Posts
dzeiler said:
As much as I love the supra( and after 19 years you know I did) but this is a divorce amicable but a divorce. I am going to enjoy being single and lookling at all the great high hp cars that are availible again. Z06 500 hp stock the skyline is going to be a hummer and awd sounds interesting, the plane old vette as a convertable witht the z51 is a possiblity as well. If none of thsoe tickle me I can always come back to the fold.
As mentioned above the performance and exclusivity of these cars is impossible to beat. the supra always had the real cars guys looking while the general public did nto have a clue what it was which was fine by me. These cars are incredibly well enginerred. the styling in my opinion was current and better then some of the stuff you see now. I think the car guys in Toyota hit a home run, but since the car did not sell well in the US market (becasue the era of SUV was just dawning 13 years ago) they lost there corperate shirt on it. I think that has made them reticent to release another Top dog car. I am a typcial example of why they should treat 19 years of loyalty to the brand and the $ is burning a hole in my pocket if there was a MK V that was as good as the mk IV that would be at the top of my list.
Very well stated, I agree with what you have said, and wish you best of luck shopping for a great new ride, I'm sure your Supra will miss you, you gave her the love she needed, Maybe her sister will come to the states and rekindle a flame for you. The new Z06 would be a great ride, maybe a supercharger or turbo upgrade would make it DEADLY, Best of Luck

Eric

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Actualy the sticker less taxes when they first came out was lower then 50. The leather was an option as was the BS radio. I think full sticker was 42,000, plus the options brought it 45000 at the time like all new releases some dealers were asking a 5000 premium. I was able to get it for about 1500 less then list as i recall so call it 43500 ( cash deal no interest)and sold for sl less then my asking price. call it a 17000 spread. Divided by 13 years, So depreciated cost of ownership was about 1300 a year or about 100 a month. I did have a turbo go bad because of a bad vsv that cost around 1800 add another 11 a month. I won't add it routine maintence like oil and tires The BPU stuff was all hobby related. So if your into monthly costs call it 115 a month for one of the best hi pro cars in the last 20 years. The car is an incredible value

1 - 20 of 40 Posts