Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Chasing Leaks 24/7
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this points me to the CPS, Igniter, Coils in the TSRM, but I'd like to know what the most common problem ends up being. There is the dreaded thought of having to pay out the a$$ for some of these parts. I just want to know before I troubleshoot. Plus it helps to know where to begin. Instead of finding it to be the CPS after testing each coil pack and the igniter etc...

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
My 3rd MK3 and LOVING IT
293 Posts
I dont have the answer as far as you codes go, but I can tell you that you dont need to buy brand new parts at retail prices. I bought a used CPS on ebay for $100, the entire coil pack with mounting bracket for $50, and some other odds and ends all used off of ebay and these forums. Lots of parts out there coming off of cars that have blown HG's and the people dont know anything about supras so they just part the cars out. Hope that helps with your worries about paying to much for parts.

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
first thing to do is check the cps wiring. make sure the connection is good and all the wires are seated in the connection properly.

·
Chasing Leaks 24/7
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

My symptoms are...
Car cranks just fine, but it will not fire up. The car was running just fine Friday before I took apart the exhaust.

·
Rooftop Sniper
2,545 Posts
When I rewired my CPS badly, the car would crank occasionally but when it was about to fire, would instead backfire. I ended up rewiring it at the connector and along the top of the engine near the timing belt cover.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
sounds like Ignitor to me...find a friend, use his to check...if it fires right up and stats, then Dee Dee Dee, you know your problem.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
tookwik4u89 said:
Check cam sensor wires and see if its full of oil inside plastic cover, havent seen a bad igniter in 8 years working on them ,but it doesnt mean it cant happen
ive seen 4 in a year.

one happened to me.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
tookwik4u89 said:
wow, thats no good.

well its not that bad..i mean id rather have a pooped ignitor than a CPS problem lol. they are 30 billion times easier to replace.

·
Chasing Leaks 24/7
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your input guys.
I checked the CPS wiring at the CPS itself and everything was connected well. I will check for oil under the plastic to see if it's affecting the wiring. Also, I think I can get a spare igniter from Slow66 to check that. Who knows, maybe he'll even let me borrow his CPS, seeing how his car isn't together at the moment.

I just don't see what could have happened between me taking the exhaust off and putting it back on that would have changed. The only thing I did was remove the oxygen sensor that runs near the CPS, and maybe I hit some wiring there?

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
thats the thing about ignitors..one day, one MINUTE..itll just not work anymore.

with mine...it was running fine all day, turn car off, turn car on..all day was fine..then i wanted to go cruise...never started...checked evrything, looked good.

replaced ignitor to check if it was it..car started right up again like nothing was wrong.

·
Chasing Leaks 24/7
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Johnny Dangerously said:
thats the thing about ignitors..one day, one MINUTE..itll just not work anymore.

with mine...it was running fine all day, turn car off, turn car on..all day was fine..then i wanted to go cruise...never started...checked evrything, looked good.

replaced ignitor to check if it was it..car started right up again like nothing was wrong.

Slow66 has an igniter, CPS, and coil packs he's letting me borrow this weekend to test with, so I guess we'll just have to see how it turns out. *fingers crossed* hoping it's just the igniter.

·
Chasing Leaks 24/7
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
guess what?! I was just fooling with the CPS wires a bit. Everything was plugged in and all, but I had a notion that it was the only thing I came anywhere near. I unplugged the harness to it, then plugged it in again. I went and started the car. VROOOOOM!!! I'm so happy it was just a connection. Thanks for your input guys. Just goes to show, even though something may look liked it's plugged in (latched and everything) you might not want to take it for granted.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
glad you solved your problem, bro.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've had exactly the same symptoms! have to check and re-check my wiring...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts