Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone explain engine knock? I have an EGR mod on my car and I’m not sure if this is the reason this is happenig. I’m not familiar with engine knocks so this might be nothing at all, however, I’ve read several threads connecting Engine knock to the EGR mod. When I’m at a complete stop the car idles at 500rpm and it slightly sinks down to around 400rpm. then it jumps between 400rpm and 500rpm. The sound the engine makes is noticeable when it hops. Would this be classified as engin knock?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
try to raise your idle upto 700-800 adjust the tps on your throttle body. is the check engine light on? find out what code it is

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No check engine light. I guess it can be like a hiccup. So adjusting the tps a little should resolve? I noticed when the AC is on and idles higher between 500 and 600 the hiccup is completely gone.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
when the car idles that low it wants to stall out so it doesnt sound to healthy i would try raising the idle how does the car drive at higher rpms

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When the AC is on, it raises to 500 or so and sounds much better, So I'm going to raise it to the same a Hua has his. I think that would be perfect.

Thanks for the replys!

·
Registered
282 Posts
InTheSearch, check you timing as well, may be off a tick or two, causing this.

Perfect idle is 600-750rpm for the Supra, other mods, such as cams, may require a higher idle.

:bigthumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts