Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, incase you guys dont know I own a BMW E36 with a 2.5L engine. I have purchased a kit that will swap a 2JZ-GTE into my E36. The kit arrives today at 4 in the afternoon. It comes complete with engine, 5 speed tranny, radiator, FMIC, custom 3" DP, custom 3" exhaust, all accessories, custom driveshaft, custom subframe, custom halfshafts, and nissan skyline rear differential with custom gearing. I am pulling my engine over the next 3 nights, and plan on putting it all back on over the long weekend.

When putting a 2JZ motor in, do you guys put it in with the exhaust manifold and turbo's on? Or do you put them in after? Do you put the engine and tranny in together or seperatly?

Thanks in Advance.

Steve

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It's easier to install the exhaust manifold and turbos while the motor is out of the engine bay rather than afterwards. I might be wrong but I don't think you have enough room to slide the motor w/ the tranny bolted on through the engine bay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
R154 ---

Basically the discussion we had went as follows.

Auto - No.
6 Speed - Not serviceable in USA, rebuild is very expensive, not as reliable as a 5 speed. Cost was $2000 more than the 5 speed.
5 Speed - $400 -- if it ever blows I can buy a new one for another $400 from him. I lose a gear, but we used diff gears to compensate for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the engine today, looks good. Thinkin im maybe missing a few little bits here and there for the tranny, but very complete.

·
2jz powered
1,688 Posts
^^ he said R154

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,783 Posts
Where did the kit come from? Can't wait to see the finished product...

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Cool project..............however I don't see how the 5speed is more reliable than the 6speed............all the big hp guys still have the factory 6speed...........so unless you are planning on like 1700rwhp.............but at that point the 5speed wouldn't be too reliable either :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They all have rebuilt 6's. None of them are on a stock 6 speed. Eventually I will go to a rebuilt 6, but for now, 5 is better.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah, I'd think for low HP levels a 5sp is just as good. I'm not sure about the gearing though. How much did that kit cost you and where did you get it (if ya don't mind my asking).

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah, that place has a "2jZ 240sx" but the picture looks really Photoshop to me. It's all blurry and disproportional... I always figured that company was a scam but I guess not. Too bad they didn’t have a real 2JZ 240sx to take pictures of.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts