Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay guys, need some quick advice if anyone knows... gaskets needed for block re-assembly. My machinist didn't order them. :(

From looking at the parts, manuals, etc... I've determined the following list:

1. Timing cover gasket
2. Front/rear main seal(s)
3. Water pump housing gasket

Did I miss anything?

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope... just the block. Got the crank and pistons in already. Everything thing else is sitting on the garage floor.

The head was rebuilt earlier this spring... then torn apart for a full PnP.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You will still need a full gasket set.........their is a sheet load of gaskets to assemble and engine that was torn down........plus it is usually cheaper this way.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
89toysup said:
You will still need a full gasket set.........their is a sheet load of gaskets to assemble and engine that was torn down........plus it is usually cheaper this way.
Negative! Umm... example. Royal Moore Toyota here in PDX said $420.00+ for a overhaul kit (without HG and rings). For the parts I've listed total's $78 at the same Toyota place.

You decide...

Or are you saying I've forgotten a gasket for the block assembly only?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well depending on what gaskets get ruined in the tear down can also be a factor........Ive reused some gaskets when I rebuilt it last time (upper and lower intake runner for example) but I,m also thinking of oil pan gasket, head gasket etc. But now that I,m thinking about it, those rebuild kits contain EVERY SINGLE rubber and cork gasket to rebuild and engine that was completly torn down..........like the little rubber seal on the valves........and I guess some other things don,t allways get taken out or removed such as freeze plugs.........hm........maybe perhaps the best thing to do would be look in your garage and play it out in your head of what things you may need when you put it back together. All I know is that it sure does suck when your putting the engine together and one stoopid gasket stops the job. Sure am tired of talking..hehe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts