Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
The Hustler
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wandering why everyone polishes there Engine Bay parts instead of Chroming them. I am about to send all my stuff off to be Chromed, but just wanted to make sure its not gonna screw up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
chrome is a lot heavier and a lot harder to keep clean. It shouldnt mess it up too bad...but have fun bolting everything back in...you may need some bolts that are just a bit longer...

·
Banned
2,721 Posts
LOL!!! Chrome IS NOT harder to keep clean. Polished parts are 10x harder to keep clean if you don't do it on a regular basis. You can not clean chrome for a year and go to wipe it off with a wet rag with ease.

I say go with Tony's polishing and don't look back. The key to keeping a great polishing job looking that way is keeping up with keeping it clean, time is the biggest factor.

·
The Hustler
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I think I am gonna get Tony to do my alternator and stuff.
Somebody post some pics of "Who Has the MOST BLING UNDER THE HOOD."

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,719 Posts
Its all about the look imho., some like chrome some like the polished look, I personelly like the polished look not that I have any to brag about or show off yet lol!

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
TTSupradave said:
chrome is a lot heavier and a lot harder to keep clean. It shouldnt mess it up too bad...but have fun bolting everything back in...you may need some bolts that are just a bit longer...
Your not really informed on this subject :) Chrome is MUCH easier to clean. Just pass a rag and your done. With polished parts, its hell. As for being heavy, how much weight are we talking about? 10LBS, 30LBS LOL Your clothing will make more diference in weight.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Chrome is MUCH easier to keep clean. There are (2) reasons that one might choose polish over chrome or vise versa:

1. Depending upon engine part, if the part gets HOT, the chrome can begin to "blue" after time. Take a look at the pipes on a Harley (at the manifold) or other motorcycle after time. You will see the blueing of the chrome. This is especially evident if they've been running race gas/mixture/or octane booster etc. that causes more exhause heat.

2. Personal preference of one over the other.

It is common knowledge that chrome is much easier to keep clean than polish. It should be obvious why. Polished parts require a more frequent wipe down and/or light polish with a compound to keep them mirror-like. If you're like me, however, a polished part would be perfect all the time, but that is because I'm an anal retentive retard :rolleyes:

My personal preference would be to chrome everything that doesn't get real hot and polish the rest. Some people don't care for the "bling factor" of chrome and prefer the look of polish instead. They definitely have a different appearance, and everybody has their preferences. What look do you prefer, and are you willing to put the effort into keeping that look appearing the way it should? That's what you should ask yourself.

KZ

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
If I had to do it all over again I would probably chrome most of my setup. The next time my engine is out I'm likely going to take most of my polished parts to the chromer. Cost is a big thing, realize that everything you chrome must be polished first, so it's quite a bit more expensive for the added

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
TwinTurboPete said:
Your not really informed on this subject :) Chrome is MUCH easier to clean. Just pass a rag and your done. With polished parts, its hell. As for being heavy, how much weight are we talking about? 10LBS, 30LBS LOL Your clothing will make more diference in weight.
LOL, and you need longer bolts since the chrome is put on 3/4" deep

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
rwmotorsports said:
LOL!!! Chrome IS NOT harder to keep clean. Polished parts are 10x harder to keep clean if you don't do it on a regular basis. You can not clean chrome for a year and go to wipe it off with a wet rag with ease.

I say go with Tony's polishing and don't look back. The key to keeping a great polishing job looking that way is keeping up with keeping it clean, time is the biggest factor.

so true. i suggest you zoop seal the items as well

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
onelove said:
If I had to do it all over again I would probably chrome most of my setup. The next time my engine is out I'm likely going to take most of my polished parts to the chromer. Cost is a big thing, realize that everything you chrome must be polished first, so it's quite a bit more expensive for the added
Items that get chromed have to be polished first? :scratch:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
onelove said:
realize that everything you chrome must be polished first, so it's quite a bit more expensive for the added
Not necessarily true. If you're going to chrome something that has been painted, the surface will be bead blasted first because obviously you cannot chrome over paint. If you're going to chrome a surface such as an intake manifold that may have a rough surface from when it was cast, you will likely THEN grind/polish down the rough surface first before chroming. Otherwise, the rough surface will show through the chrome. Any part that is not painted, is smooth, and has been cleaned (not greasy etc) would NOT need to be polished before chroming....been there, done this a million times.

Also, another note on chroming. Any welds should be ground down (radiused), so that they blend well with the rest of the part. If the welds aren't ground down nicely, after chroming, they will stick out like a sore thumb....just an FYI.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
WrenchWhore said:
Also, another note on chroming. Any welds should be ground down (radiused), so that they blend well with the rest of the part. If the welds aren't ground down nicely, after chroming, they will stick out like a sore thumb....just an FYI.
That is what I meant, the majority of parts go through a prep similar to as if they where being polished, welds, imperfections, etc. If you take something that is already perfectly smooth like piping then it's a bit easier, an intake manifold you would likely want to polish smooth, or else your going to have a rather ugly piece when finished. There are different levels of chrome plating like everything, it's all up to how much time you have and how much you want to spend. It sure beats re-polishing!

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
I prefer the look of polishing but it does get tedious. Imma chrome my radiator plate cause i hate having to always wipe it down/repolish it constantly. What I have been lead to believe is to NOT chrome your intake piping/manifold as it will retain any heat rather than dissapte it, but I may be wrong.

It might be a good idea to clear coat the parts also, but doing that will dull the luster of the polished part a bit.

Alex

·
Registered
155 Posts
Being in Calif. I would powder coat it black or wrinkle to keep it look stock so in case the cop deside to take a look under the hood.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts