Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Alpine tt v160
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have the motor out of my 94 alpine silver and the engine bay doesnt look great. Id like to touch up some spots and paint it with a rattle can. Does anyone know what the paint code is? The car is 199 alpine but the engine bay is like a satin gray. My body shop is booked out for 3 months and I dont want to remove the firewall blanket and abs to paint the entire bay. Any ideas? Hoping someone knows a paint code or something i can buy at a autozone/oreillys that matches well. thanks
Cory

·
Registered
774 Posts
Engine bay should be 199 as well. Did you take a look behind the firewall blanket to see what colour is beneath? Maybe it has been repainted before.

Casper

·
Registered
1994 Alpine tt v160
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine bay should be 199 as well. Did you take a look behind the firewall blanket to see what colour is beneath? Maybe it has been repainted before.

Casper
Ill check, but it looks much different. I have a can of 199 mixed by the local paint shop and it looks much different. Ill get a pic later today.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Its normal for the engine bay of a Supra to have a slightly different color/hue/shade then the actual exterior panels espeshally for metalic colors as I believe during manufacturing they did not use a clear coat or something. If you look in your trunk area where the spare tire goes you might even notice factory under spray (more noticeable on darker colors)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Its normal for the engine bay of a Supra to have a slightly different color/hue/shade then the actual exterior panels espeshally for metalic colors as I believe during manufacturing they did not use a clear coat or something. If you look in your trunk area where the spare tire goes you might even notice factory under spray (more noticeable on darker colors)
You are probably right. All stock Supras I have seen did not have a clear coat in the engine bay.
Mine has a slightly different shade in the engine bay as well.

Casper

·
From the land down under
4,823 Posts
Yep, me too.

My 3L2 engine bay looks terrible compared to the exterior.

·
Just a guy who loves cars
94' Turbo, Targa, 6 spd, Ren Red.
533 Posts
Yep, no clear coat in engine bay.

·
Registered
226 Posts
During a paint restoration, I confirmed there was no clear coat when in the engine bay when I had the engine of the car. Same paint code as the exterior, minus the clear coat. I opted to add a clear coat prior to reinstallation of the engine. Looks much better IMHO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts