Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I simply physically cannot install all these new parts I purchase into my beat up ass engine bay. I am going to respray it ren red. But I have a question.
I have a nice rust spot underneath the fuse box junction, right after the rubber boot, underneath the plastic housing that site next to the stock battery.
The seam sealer is peeling in that area and the paint has some bubbles, and there is about 3 square inches of rust there.
How do I deal with that? Also Is it okay to sand the seam sealer and paint over it after its smoothed out a bit? Or should I reapply new sealer over it? I dont care to remove it and I am not picky if its smooth. Its just the engine bay is scratched up and so dull.

·
Banned
451 Posts
I use a torch on heat up the old seam sealer then use a wire brush to easily to remove. Not sure about the other stuff, maybe someone can charm in.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the torch not melt the sealer making it messy?
Or just hot enough to be flexible?
If the second, I could probably get away with a heat gun

·
Banned
451 Posts
I just pass the torch across it a few times then the wire wheel or wire brush did the trick.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up wire wheeling the area and got it to literally polished metal, i only took off the excess seam sealer and not the one in the seam since it only had rust under the slathered on excess. I sanded and used a rust converter and anti rust primer on top. I just need to order the 3L2 paint and get it touched up. I decided to hold off on painting the bay. Its a dual duty car so im not polishing the bay every week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts