Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started happening after I popped my intercooler pipe and ran rich. On acceleration and deceleration the clicking will occur. It's definately coming from the front of the engine past the front wheel. I've tried disconnecting the spark for cylinders 1,2,3 but the clicking is still there.

I know for a fact it is not the valves or injectors since I can hear the injectors clicking, valves tapping too, but it just sounds different. Sounds pretty much like rod knock, but at a much lower volume (10%).

It's also louder from the bottom end then it is the top end; also louder near the exhaust side. It sounds like it's coming from the power steering pump area... could this be a bad power steering pump?

·
Registered
93 Posts
ok, tell me more because so far its not specific enough to understand. It can't be the power steering because the P/S will be making a whinning sound when you turn it not a clicking sound. Also, take out all of your spark plugs (1-6) and check the condition on them. If they looked fouled up, replace them and see what happens from there. If I where you, check everything!!! this does not mean to take everything apart, just check everything epsecially from the bottom of engine and see if you see anything that looks out of place.

·
FIX-R upper
567 Posts
It could be your oil pump.. i had a 89 n/a do that to me. No biggie.. tho, it only did that when i ran syn in the car with syn Mucas (lucas). Yes they do have synthetic lucas for race apps to use with sny oil.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Update: After some heavy boosting in a attempt to throw a rod the rod knock like noise went away. :ugh2:

Not quite sure what it is; it came back though when the engine was cold. After it warms up and I boost it, the noise goes away again.

If the oil pump has failed would I still get 45+ psi of oil pressure?

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
sounds like a lifter is hateing life. if you really want to check it out get a stethiscope and go over the head and block

·
FIX-R upper
567 Posts
LordLo said:
Update: After some heavy boosting in a attempt to throw a rod the rod knock like noise went away. :ugh2:

Not quite sure what it is; it came back though when the engine was cold. After it warms up and I boost it, the noise goes away again.

If the oil pump has failed would I still get 45+ psi of oil pressure?
Yep, thats what mine did. The pump shifts, next oil change just tighten the oil pump down. Its no biggie really IMO but i wouldn't let it go on forever.

edit: what i think happens is it will hit untill you hit it hard enoughf to move it out of the way, but then when you start it cold it tourqes the oil pump over because of the thinker cold oil.

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
Has the crank pulley been off recently? Make sure it's tight! Mine made a rod-knock like sound when it was a little bit loose.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got_boosted said:
Has the crank pulley been off recently? Make sure it's tight! Mine made a rod-knock like sound when it was a little bit loose.
Yeah I just checked it last weekend... then again I better check it again. lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts