Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is running rich as shit at idle (around 10-11 AFR), the idle hunts around, and the car produces alot of black smoke until it eventually fouls out my spark plugs. I have been reading on here recently that the Engine coolant temp sensor could be the culprit. If i have read correctly there is 1 engine temp sensor in the water neck next to the engine temp gauge sender, and 1 engine control temp sensor in the radiator. I will swap out the sensor in my waterneck as i have a spare, but i do NOT have a sensor plugged into the radiator and wired up. When I installed my aftermarket radiator i didn't install the sensor immediately and somehow lost it (the radiator has a plug in it). Could the lack of the 2nd sensor cause my rich problem and idle problems, or will the ECU read the info it needs from the waterneck sensor and my problem lies elsewhere???
At first i thought there was only 1 temp sensor, and that it must be working properly because my guages show accurate raise in temp, however after reading the manual i now know that it is because the temp gauge sender is working, not the ECT sensors.
Also, i read somewhere that someone jumped the radiator ECT off the waterneck ECT, and that it worked. If this is the case, can i just wire the 2 together?
Or does anyone have a spare radiator ECT lying around??
Thanks
Nick

Also, just in case some of you are wondering...
The coil packs are good.
Ignitor is good.
No boost leaks.
IAC is good and clean.
TPS is good.
Etc...

·
I8 YUR V8
416 Posts
I believe the sensor in the radiator is for the fan. I'm not 100% though... someone probably will confirm.

·
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, i talked to Curt today and he told me that as well.
Thanks for the reply. I guess i don't need to worry about it because i no longer have the stock fans...
Nick

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is true the sensor in the radiator is for controlling the electric fans. My sensor is bad so I just unplugged it and it keeps the fans running when ever the ignition is on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts