Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well something happen that I never wanted to think about the other day and yesterday we confirmed it. My car was at a shop to get a front mount,fuel system, and AEM. I after that would be set and have the car to the point of where I wanted it.
I have Dereks meth kit installed and a 3gallon fuel cell in the trunk for the meth mixture. there is one flaw to the kit it seems. With this setup if the nozzle is lower then the tank(parked on a decline) the mixture drains out into the IC piping. Well the shop owner did not know this and parked my car on the dyno ramps over night. The next day it appears that 1 and a half gallons of the 3 gallon tank made its way into my piping. well when he started my car Instead of sucking in air it sucked in the mixture and locked. After pulling the plugs the engine turned over nad out shot the mixture from number 6 cylinder. We then changed the oil 2 times and the car idled fine. At 2000 rpms and above the car smokes very badly:( . Yesterday we pulled the plugs and did a compression check. all were between 129-141psi except number 6 which was 75psi:( . Well now I am doing something I hoped to never do and have to rebuild it.I'm not even sure exactly what is wrong with it yet(either ring or piston we're guessing).

So for all who have recently built a motor what did you use for rods and pistons? I am looking at carrilo rods or maybe eagle rods and then doing valve springs for the difference of money.

Just also needed to vent a little.

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Damn that sucks! I havent been hearing good results lately with the meth kits.

If you want to do the motor right get the Carillo H beam rods and some CP pistons.
They are an awesome combination, yet a little expensive.

good luck!

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MK4LIFE said:
Damn that sucks! I havent been hearing good results lately with the meth kits.

If you want to do the motor right get the Carillo H beam rods and some CP pistons.
They are an awesome combination, yet a little expensive.

good luck!
Meth kit works great. It is the fact there is nothing to stop it from draining when the car is tilted.

I was looking at wiesco pistons. What do you think of them?

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
93HRDTOPTT said:
Meth kit works great. It is the fact there is nothing to stop it from draining when the car is tilted.

is that with any kit or just the kit you got? It's hard to imagine no one designs a nozzle that wont drip...

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AlpineTT said:
your case i would almost consider just purchasing a factory short block as that would also meet your needs without spending a ton of money.
Problem is I am still paying for labor. No one is taking responsiblity and if I am paying for labor I might as well do it right. that way if plans change I am not paying labor to do it right again.

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
93HRDTOPTT said:

I know of 5 cars personally that have dyno'd and ran slower at the track with the meth kits on.

Each of the people turned the meth off and filled up with race gas and got better track times, and higher dyno numbers with the same boost/setup.

Justin nenni has seen quite a few of these also.

the rods is what matters most in a supra, they are usually the first to fail. Wiseco pistons will be fine, just get some GOOD rods like carillo.

·
3,463 Posts
MK4LIFE said:
I know of 5 cars personally that have dyno'd and ran slower at the track with the meth kits on.

Each of the people turned the meth off and filled up with race gas and got better track times, and higher dyno numbers with the same boost/setup.

Justin nenni has seen quite a few of these also.

the rods is what matters most in a supra, they are usually the first to fail. Wiseco pistons will be fine, just get some GOOD rods like carillo.
No one ever claimed that Meth will make better or equal numbers than race gas.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed that meth is not as good as race gas. It is like a band-aid to run for everyday driving and then throw in the good stuff for race days. For a year I had the stock fuel system and a t67 and it worked well for me. kept a/f ratios to acceptable levels and I would alway throw in some 100 oct at the track for some added safety. now that I have a fuel system I(once my motor is fixed:( ) can boost a little higher until I find a spot to fill up with some race gas.

I just need to find a way to put some sort of spring loaded check valve in that will keep it from draining but not restrict flow when the pumps are on.

If you are running a meth kit I would HIGHLY recommend you to be careful that this does happen to you!!

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
M Miller said:
Josh, Sorry to hear the news. :( I'm currently building mine. Using oliver rods and coated cp pistons and coated bearings.

Matt
Thats not good Matt! Your supposed to be enjoying life as a father not stressing on rebuilding a motor. what happened to yours? Season is just around the corner!

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
chnco said:
No one ever claimed that Meth will make better or equal numbers than race gas.
On race gas + methanol, I put down 20 more rwhp and ran 100C cooler egt's that 100% race fuel. All my ET's and traps are with race & methanol.

I'm starting to think i'm the ODD guy out!!

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jay do you have some sort of check valve in your meth setup or are you using the windshield washer tank?

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
Philly Single said:
On race gas + methanol, I put down 20 more rwhp and ran 100C cooler egt's that 100% race fuel. All my ET's and traps are with race & methanol.

I'm starting to think i'm the ODD guy out!!
That makes sense....Not trying to speak for him, but I think Mike's lower power reference was for meth. vs. race gas, not meth+race gas:)

BTW. Sorry to hear of your situation, Josh. My engine seized from stuck fuel injectors during my build-up, so I know how frustrating it can be. Hope your delay won't be too long.

Brad

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
93HRDTOPTT said:
Jay do you have some sort of check valve in your meth setup or are you using the windshield washer tank?
I'm still using the washer tank....

Brad - oh, good point....well, technically I did have just a *bit* of pump in the tank...the rest race fuel. I plan on dyno / racing on all race + methanol again in the next week or two.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think if you put a T and a oneway valve in it to let air in when there is no flow pressure, it will stop the siphoning. The oneway valve has to be higher than the level in the washer tank.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The tank is a 3 gallon tank that has a vent on it to ensure that it can continue to suck the fluid out of the tank.If there is a check valve that has a 1psi spring in it that would most likely work best.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
This week seems to be "I've got a meth system and a blown motor " week on Supraforums.

That being said if your going to take the motor appart and build it do it right with Carillo rods and the pistons of your choice. If you've got the extra money look into some head upgrades and upgraded bearings as you never know what your ideals might be in a year from now and your not going to want to build this motor twice.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
onelove said:
This week seems to be "I've got a meth system and a blown motor " week on Supraforums.

That being said if your going to take the motor appart and build it do it right with Carillo rods and the pistons of your choice. If you've got the extra money look into some head upgrades and upgraded bearings as you never know what your ideals might be in a year from now and your not going to want to build this motor twice.
Thats what I'm thinking, except I won't be able to quite swing head work yet. Hell After what I just spent I can't even really do the rebuild. I have to bite the bullet though to get it running again.

Friday they did a leakdown and they found that the car was empty on coolant, maybe it just blew out the head gasket. I guess I will find out for sure by this coming Wensday when he pulls the head. ARP head studs and a racing cosmtic head gasket are ordered already. might as well be ready for the worst though:( . If it is not that bad then it will be a relief.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts