Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help would be appreciated. I have a 97 Supra on stock twins, Haltech sport 2000, AEM fail safe wideband which have been installed for several years and worked fine. Recently, the engine will dies shorlty after getting to operating temperature at idle or while driving. If I turn the key after engine dies, the engine will crank but not start. If I turn the key all the way off then the engine will restart for a few minutes before dying again. If I let the engine cool down, the engine will start and run for a while again. Because of this issue, I just installed a new Denso fuel pump and both fuel relays but still having the same issue. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not sure about checking codes on aftermarket ecu's. However are you able to monitor all your sensors? I had experiences with a couple vehicles where a bad crank or cam sensor would act up after the engine would heat up and cause that issue

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I have never set up any way to connect to the Haltech. I guess that should be the next step is to find out how to hook my laptop up to monitor everything.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Is your factory coolant temp gauge reporting normally?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Any help would be appreciated. I have a 97 Supra on stock twins, Haltech sport 2000, AEM fail safe wideband which have been installed for several years and worked fine. Recently, the engine will dies shorlty after getting to operating temperature at idle or while driving. If I turn the key after engine dies, the engine will crank but not start. If I turn the key all the way off then the engine will restart for a few minutes before dying again. If I let the engine cool down, the engine will start and run for a while again. Because of this issue, I just installed a new Denso fuel pump and both fuel relays but still having the same issue. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
check you crank sensor wire , it gets hot behind the coolant water neck. take caution when checking, make sure the engie is cold, it may have broken contact somewhere, also check you cam sensor wiring

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I downloaded the ECU Manager software from Haltech and had one of their techs monitor everything when the engine died. They found the ECU is losing power. How would I trace the problem from there?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Because after market ecu wiring can be done in different ways, I would look at the wiring connections at the ecu an if it is a jumper harness to the cars original harness look at that end too. Not sure if you're having battery issues, but wouldn't hurt to check the connections to the battery and engine grounds. The tech would most likely have noticed if you alternator was weak so most likely not that.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Check main grounds for corrosion on both sides.
If they look good, take them apart and hit both sides of the contacts with a wire brush.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts