Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a MKIII Turbo A and now a problem with it as well. I noticed a tapping sound coming from the engine under load so i took a closer look and found out it was coming from the fan. I popped the shroud off and realised there is quite a bit of movement in the fan. This being a viscous coupling fan, is there anyway to tighten it up or is the only answer to replace it??

Thanks guys,

Russ.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
youre telling me you didnt see the 6 or more bolts that hold the fan to the fan clutch and the 4 bolts that hold the fan clutch to the water pump pulley?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bolts near the water pump pulley are definitely tight. The fan and the fan clutch are moving as one unit, not apart from each other, so I dont think those bolts have anything to do with the problem.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
does the fan appear to be wobbly?

what "sometimes" happens..i stress the word sometimes, cause it usually just shatters.

when it was tapping against hte shroud, it was taking pieces of the fan with it. so now when the fan moves, its unbalanced..thus the slight wobble.

ift hats the case, then replace it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I wasn't clear with my first post. What I meant to say was that there was a tapping sound from the fan but it wasnt due to it hitting the shroud, it was just because of the uneven movement of the fan at high revolutions.

I think I am up for a few dollars replacing it though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts