Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to jiffy lube and the guy said it needs a engine flush, he stuck his finger in the filler hole and showed me it had thick oil deposits....83 bucks for change and flush, i didnt trust flushing it, cuz i heard engine flushin such a old motor might screw up the seals and such...any advice?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Engine flush

oh boy.. skip it. This is a money making scheme more than anything else.

·
greasemonkey
3,134 Posts
i wouldnt flush it if it has alot of miles. might spring some leaks. just use castrol gtx and change every1-2kmi and change the oil filter everychange. it will clean up a bit after a couple changes.
william

·
evil will always triumph
2,226 Posts
next oil change u do put a qt of ATF(trans fluid) the ATF is a detergent that will slowly clean off any deposits and sludge..... do this for a few oil changes....once u do not see sludge stop adding tranny fluid at oil changes......but your motor may be too late to save:(
this is not a flush.... but will do the same effect just at a slower rate, it is very safe for your car... i have done this for a few years now when i see a sludged motor( i work 4 dodge, so i get lots of them)
good luck!!!

chris

·
DFWSupras
1,627 Posts
engine flush is like putting paint thinner in your engine to remove oil deposites in there. Now ask yourself would you put paint thinner (a solvent) into your engine?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SupraGuy88T said:
engine flush is like putting paint thinner in your engine to remove oil deposites in there. Now ask yourself would you put paint thinner (a solvent) into your engine?
so wat u think of the ATF trick like Supraman741 said?

·
DFWSupras
1,627 Posts
I honestly have not heard of this being done. I do know that Trans Fluid and Engine oil will not mix well cold but have no idea what will happen when the two are mixed and warmed inside the engine. keep in mind that transmission oil is rather thin compared to eninge oil specially the 20w50 that is recommende for our cars. I would read up and try to find more information about it before doing it.

G

·
try using AutoRX
i've read alot of good things over at the forums on bobistheoilguy.com (it's not a competeing forum so i won't get banned or anything right?)

melloboy

·
VIPER HUNTER
835 Posts
search "toulene" you can use that as a octane booster..or a motor flush.Motor flush isnt a scam,it acually works,but all it really is is toulene and some atf or marvel mystery oil mixed together and like mineral spirits..It will def clean out your motor.def dont drive with it in there.i would sugest putting it in drive normal for 100 miles maybe alittle less then changing the oil

·
evil will always triumph
2,226 Posts
see the problem with a motor flush like that is that it drops alll the sludge down to the pan all very quickly and the motor, oil pump and filter will get cloged very fast like that if his motor is as sludged as i am getting at..... since the lube tech was able to get a scoop of it with his finger....

ATF is a slow working detergent that will help desludge a motor and devarnish the internals..... i have seen it work..... i did it b4 i swaped motors, my old motor was varnished to hell n back, when we dropped the pan the underside was nice n clean:)

thats y i say.... do like 2 or 3 oilchanges with 1 qt of ATF and u should be fine

chris

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,129 Posts
Oh god.

This reminds me of Jiffey Lube.

I freaking hate those assholes. They were changing the oil on my friend's camaro, and showed us the radiator fluid, and it was a perfect green... and the dumbass tried to tell us it was not suppose to be green, and that it's going to blow the engine..

Regardless of what I really did...

I "explained" to him, that I was going to piss in the radiator, and go drive hard as hell.

He kinda gave the "I'm caught" look... and just did the oil.

I still ride on my buddy for not changing his own oil, but he'll pay for it one of these days by one of those tricksters.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I work in a shop, and I don't know what "Jiffy Lube" is like down there, but I do engine flushes all the time. I have never seen it cause a problem with an engine, and we refuse to flush engines where we know that the sludge is all that's holding it together lol. I'd probably recommend one for your vehicle bye the sounds of it, but what youe say sounds quite extensive. I pretty sure the tech was just trying to bs you. I've never heard of the trans fluid trick, but we use it to clean our floors on occasion, so why not, but it is a lot more viscous then engine oil. So, you might want to go with a less viscous oil, but no lighter then 10w30. As far as the rad flush comment up there. you have to change a car's coolant every 48000km (30 000miles?) because it contains antioxidants that prevent rust, though I think you'd be safe if you pissed in it (depending on how bad you had to go). I think that covers everything. Anymore questions about it, and just PM me and I'll hand over answers. Later guys.

Deep_Blue

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,129 Posts
I'm all for flushing the radiator...

But, the car was brand spanking new... and he tried to tell me the healthy green was bad.

:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts