Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pretty bad problem.

I currently have a 1988 Supra turbo automatic and just had my entire engine and trans rebuilt / upgraded. My engine harness that I was using is shot. It is missing connectors, the wire is brittle, and you can hear it breaking if you bend it slightly etc. I was planning on getting a new harness but found out that the 88-89 auto ones were discontinued. My mechanic that is working on my car has been in touch with Toyota and has been told different stories about being able to get one from Japan, that they have one on the way, or that they were not sure. I have been waiting on it for at least 3-4 weeks now without much on a positive outlook. I just found out that Toyota does have the 90 and newer engine harnesses in stock for the auto.

My question is would a 90 auto 7mgte harness work on an 88 auto 7mgte? I understand that it might need to be slightly modified and such but would be better to cut and crimp / solder different connections in certain spots than to try and use my old garbage harness.

If it wont work then what would be the best way for me to get my car back up and running?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

· 92 TURBO
1,786 Posts
^ http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/EPC/MKIII_NATO/parts/82121.html
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/EPC/MKIII_NATO/291420/8202_1.html

I orderd a spare engine harness just to have it the end of Feb. 06 and got mine April 20 from Toyota. Mine was part # 82121-14721. According to the parts manager who is a friend of mine at a Toyota dealer there were none available in the USA.
He called Toyota in Japan and ordered it "Critical" for the dealership. It was made to order by the original vender in Japan that makes the wiring harnesses for Toyota. They still had the loom and plug connectors to make it up. The date of manufacture on the harness tag was March of 06 and it came in a box staight from Japan with all the "JAL" to "LAX" markings. Cost me $344.00 List was $580.
I think you need part 82121-14450,51,52 for a '88 turbo w/ AT according to the above Jay Marks site. Give me the last 5 digits of the part# of the harness for your car if you know it or the month of '88 on your door label and I will find out if I can get you one.
I was even able to get the wire clamps that hold the harness along the intake manifold and along the fire wall plus the terminal "housings" for the injectors,cps O2 etc. to repair my old harness. The new one is stored.

Mike

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The old one is still connected to the ecu to my knowledge. I have not been to the mechanics in a week or so, the harness might have already been fully disconnected. The last time I was there it was still dangling on the front windshield while my rebuilt motor and trans was being assembled on the floor waiting to be dropped in the engine bay.

I will try to find out in the next few days though.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately the tag on the harness must have came off over the years because it did not have one on it.

The month of my car is May of 1988 according to the sticker on the door.

I do have the ECU number of 89661-14141 if that helps at all.

If you need the VIN of my car I can still give it to you.

-Kevin

· 92 TURBO
1,786 Posts
kmckiness said:
Unfortunately the tag on the harness must have came off over the years because it did not have one on it.

The month of my car is May of 1988 according to the sticker on the door.

I do have the ECU number of 89661-14141 if that helps at all.

If you need the VIN of my car I can still give it to you.

-Kevin
PM received. Based on your VIN#, you need harness # 82121-14452.
There is NO stock anywhere in the USA but my friend is calling Toyota in Japan for availability. I will hear later or tomorrow (time change) and let you know.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.