Supra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what engine types can be inside of a non-turbo Supra MKIV.

I know that the TT version is a 2JZ-GTE

but what about for the non-turbo?

Are they all 2JZ-GE or are they somethign else. I have heard people mention a 7MGTE. Is there a way i can tell them apart? I need help because I getting another supra but i want it to be a 2JZ-GE engine because 2JZ-GTE are hard to find adn autotrader has tons of cheap non-turbos.

Also are 2JZ-GTE the same as the 2JZ-GE except the GE has no turbo? Can it handle the same power as well.

Thank you

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
lol........i searched on suprastore and found this:

1. Purchase one of our Boost Logic or Turbonetics non-turbo to turbo conversion kits and be a very satisfied customer!

2. Sell it and get a twin turbo Supra.

3. Do a TT engine swap. By the time you do the ECU and wiring harness and professional install you are looking at $12K

This is a very common question and one I hope to answer here, so I don't have to answer 100 emails a day about this same question. Many people start their search for a Supra Twin-Turbo and begin to find out that the search can be a bit difficult and expensive. At some point people begin to see that the non-turbo version of the Supra, while it has the same body style (looks) as it's big brother twin-turbo, it is certainly much less expensive.

The question then always comes, can I add the turbo kits you have listed on your website to my non-turbo Supra, because if I can, then I can save alot of money. Answer: The non-turbo engine is called a 2JZGE and while it has a shared basic design (inline 6) of the twin-turbo (2JZGTE) engine it is a different beast. You CANNOT utilize turbo kits designed for the 2JZGTE Twin Turbo Supra engine on a non-turbo Supra engine (at least without a lot of work, time and money). The cylinder head manifold mounting is different, clearances are different, it has small fuel injectors, is a higher compresssion motor and a few other changes that make it not possible. The non-turbo car has 225HP from the factory and has a very limited path forward for upgrades. We have a separate section on our website for Non-Turbo - NA Supras, which will lead you in the right direction on that car.

Another question we get is: Can is just go to Toyota and have them convert the engine to a TT? Answer: NO, so don't ask. You can perform a costly engine transplant, where you get the computer, entire engine, transmission and mounts from a twin-turbo car ($12,000+) and do an entire engine swap, but by the time you did this it would have been better to start with a twin-turbo car. Twin-turbo cars have larger brakes and other goodies as well.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Well...all non-turbo MKIV's come with a 2JZ-GE. Both in regular and VVT-i form depending on the year. But maybe you're confused because of what somebody else did, and that's to put a 1JZ-GTE in their non-turbo. I've seen somebody with that on cardomain. Rather than NA-T or TT swap, he put in a 1JZ. Which is actually kind of cost effective in ways if you install it yourself, but NA-T is better because you retain the 3.0L displacement.

I can't believe a Supra TT owner is asking this though?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Wow. A 7MGTE is the MKIII Supra turbo engine. The 7MGE is the MKIII non-turbo engine. The 2JZ-GTE is the TT MKIV engine. The 2JZ-GE is the MKIV non-turbo engine. the 2JZ-GE came with Toyota's VVT-I in the 98 Supra only.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
SupraMan1990 said:
Wow. A 7MGTE is the MKIII Supra turbo engine. The 7MGE is the MKIII non-turbo engine. The 2JZ-GTE is the TT MKIV engine. The 2JZ-GE is the MKIV non-turbo engine. the 2JZ-GE came with Toyota's VVT-I in the 98 Supra only.
Thanks for clarifying for him ;) lol

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
S E A R C H

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.