Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the other day i drove my car, and it was on almost all day. its a cressida with a 1jz-gte motor, automatic. Now, when i was ready to drive home, i wanted to run this turbo civic but instead, normally when i mash the gas all teh way, i fly back in my seat and boost goes up full at 8.5psi(yea its set low) but when i did mash, i saw the boost up there but no force, it started running like shit, like somethings sticking or the diff spinnign free, more N/A feeling like. :(

So yesterday i decided to go get some new plugs, did'nt get it, so i took out the old ones and the tips and stuff was black, used this thingy to clean it and they got clean enough, so i put them back and the car started pulling how it was to with 8.5psi, lots of pushing back in the seat, yay.

But after a few minutes, it'll start back feeling N/A with boost going up and the car holding back.

**Also, when i checked, two of the connectors on the coilpacks was loose, one was'nt so loose but it clips on the coilpack connector properly, now the other one, the clip inside it was not there, so i just pushed it in like normal hoping it touches the pins in the coilpack connector.i also used silicone so it does'nt move and go off place, but i dont think its doing anything**

Now yesterday i decided to put new plugs, so i got NGK BKR7 for the time as i was low on money and the guy has a 2jz-gte supra and he said he uses them and it works great and should work on my 1jz without regapping. So after i put it, car starts normal, i take it out for a test and its running even BETTER THAN BEFORE at 8.5psi. Now, when i go for another drive around, i start to hear some slight missing every 7-8 seconds on idle, and if i rev slow,sometimes it'll miss up till 2800rpm and stop after that. Also the boost builds and it feels lazy at times, like N/A again.

Im going to solder on the connector to the pins on the coilpacks to see if thats the problem today and i hope it is so i can drive happy.

But does anyone know what is happening?

i just got back my car from the mechanic like 2weeks now and this is happening. Im hoping its not the tranny slipping bcuz i seeing hell to find a 5speed manual transmission down here in trinidad and i dont know about the 6speed from teh 2jz if it will work :(.

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Well...to be honest man...i i just regapped mine from .028 to .039 and this car is amazing. boosts great, no missing, no more dark smoke on idle....

Trev

·
HMOOB VWJ NYOB MINNESOTA
1,352 Posts
I would rather have my gap at 28 with a slight miss than at 39 with smooth idle.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
^ i agree.... The slight miss at idle is kinda cool!

·
Registered
288 Posts
1JZ_Cressida said:
So yesterday i decided to go get some new plugs, did'nt get it, so i took out the old ones and the tips and stuff was black, used this thingy to clean it and they got clean enough, so i put them back and the car started pulling how it was to with 8.5psi, lots of pushing back in the seat, yay.

I hope that "thingy" you used to clean it wasn't one of those blaster bags that use compressed air and sand to clean the plug. Be real careful with those. They can leave little pieces of sand lodged inside between the porcelain and the body that will come loose inside the cylinder and tear up the motor...

Get new plugs, that are pretty cheap!

Marty

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
naw, i used this engine conditioner spray, and it cleant them a bit good....but the next day i got new plugs, but they are NGK BKR7E plugs, dunno if it needs regapping....i have a slight miss at idle which is annoying and i dont wanna drive it till its fixed

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
jza71 said:
I would rather have my gap at 28 with a slight miss than at 39 with smooth idle.
Why? In my case, that small of a gap created too small of a spark to ignite all the fuel/air present in the cylinder. What are you gaining with it at 28?

Trev

·
HMOOB VWJ NYOB MINNESOTA
1,352 Posts
supraturbo1987 said:
Why? In my case, that small of a gap created too small of a spark to ignite all the fuel/air present in the cylinder. What are you gaining with it at 28?

Trev
When you are pushing 20+ psi above 5k rpm you will know why.

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how does 20psi feel on a 1jz? :D Im set at only 8.5psi, which is fast for me but these days, i want more powah! lol

·
HMOOB VWJ NYOB MINNESOTA
1,352 Posts
The good feelings come after you hit 25+ psi.

This is how mine works........Lag Lag Lag Lag Boooooooosssssssttt WOW!! :eek: :bigok:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
1JZ_Cressida said:
Ok, the other day i drove my car, and it was on almost all day. its a cressida with a 1jz-gte motor, automatic. Now, when i was ready to drive home, i wanted to run this turbo civic but instead, normally when i mash the gas all teh way, i fly back in my seat and boost goes up full at 8.5psi(yea its set low) but when i did mash, i saw the boost up there but no force, it started running like shit, like somethings sticking or the diff spinnign free, more N/A feeling like. :(

My first thoughts were to check the knock sensors. Do you have an engine light on? or with putting it in the cressida are they wired in properly? Just something to check out.

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i recently put a new shortblock on it bcuz the other block spun a bearing, had knocking....i dunno if those sensors caused anything on the ecu to stop working properly or what not but no knock whiledriving that day and car was working perfect....

im thinking it could be fuel now as when i reach a certain rpm, it does'nt wanna push the power, but little by little it will, like its not getting enough fuel now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts