Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of paints have you guys used to paint engine parts? I'll be reassembling my block soon and would like to paint a few things (powdercoating is not an option, you won't be talking me into it =P). Namely the valve covers, block, a few brackets here and there... I don't want something that will flake off like I've heard of some paints doing. Is clear coating a good idea? What have your experiences been?

·
Digital Dreamer
898 Posts
How much does powdercoating actually cost anyways? I know at Canadian Tire they sell spray paints that are high temp I used some on my calipers and they lasted a long time.
eric

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Powdercoating is the way to go... I use black semi gloss krylon for my pulley's though

I paid 10 dollars to get my 3rd valve cover powdercoated.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
this may sound strange; but i used dupli-color brake caliper paint. it has tons on cermanic in it and looks awesome. i did my block and it came out real good.

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
I used high temp paint from schucks. Check out the finish.

Costs about $15 after primer and paint. The key like in painting anything else is the prep work. The job will only look as good as the prep work, I.E. taping everything off and cleaning everything extremely well. The paint was a well known brand and is good to 1200 degrees. HTH.

Seth

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gorgeous block! I was going to try red but the way your block looks has me wanting to change my mind :) What kind of prep work aside from thorough cleaning did you do? Any sanding? The block will have been hot tanked 3 times by the time I get it back so hopefully that will be enough. How many coats of primer/paint? Thanks for the response, definitely helping!

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
didn't sand the block down did ya? i see the roughness showing on the paint. I did my block like this, took about 6 hours of my time but it was well worth it, then the two coats of paint and it looks almost flawless.. but i can live with it ;)

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
Eastwood Company has the best by far, they don't peel from heat. The key to all engine/exhaust painting is to properly cure the paint. When you initially start the engine, you will start to smell paint burn, shut it off and let it cool. Repeat as many times as necessary until no more smell.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=734&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=390&iSubCat=394&iProductID=734

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=393&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=390&iSubCat=393

·
Registered
171 Posts
I used just some junker hi-temp paint i got from autozone on my calipers 2 years ago and they still look mint. lotta coats tho, it comes out real wet so get coverange, and then pray some more

1 - 11 of 11 Posts