Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a 2JZ-GTE motor needs replacing, is it better to have it rebuilt or better to just buy a new 2JZ-GTE and sell the old one?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, lemme rephrase the question. Is it wiser to have the engine rebuilt to stock specs by a mechanic or to buy a new engine? Which one is the wiser choice? Because I know with mechanics, there's a risk of the guy not knowing what he's doing and/or making a mistake vs. a brand new engine from Toyota which has no risk associated with it. Add to that the fact that everything in the new engine is NEW, all the bolts, bearings, gaskets, cams, rods, EVERYTHING vs. a rebuilt engine which won't have everything new.

·
Always on pump gas...
700 Posts
actually, do some research, the current 2jzgte blocks being produced by toyota aren't exactly the same quality as our originals. So there IS A RISK associated with them if they are not checked out by someone who knows what they are doing. So basically it boils down to just finding a reputable shop, whether or not you chose to go OEM or not is just personal opinion.

Search for it, the info's on here somewhere.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
KevinB6876 said:
Ok, lemme rephrase the question. Is it wiser to have the engine rebuilt to stock specs by a mechanic or to buy a new engine? Which one is the wiser choice? Because I know with mechanics, there's a risk of the guy not knowing what he's doing and/or making a mistake vs. a brand new engine from Toyota which has no risk associated with it. Add to that the fact that everything in the new engine is NEW, all the bolts, bearings, gaskets, cams, rods, EVERYTHING vs. a rebuilt engine which won't have everything new.
you can't buy a whole new engine.. well you could but it won't come assembled and it'll be an arm and 3 legs and maybe your other arm. Gaskets and seals don't come with the block either, neither do cams.

don't double post either

Reactions: MDSUPERSTAR
G

·
Your lucky you posted this one before your "stupid Toyota engineer" comment or else this one wouldn't even be acknowledged by me :bigthumb:
But in all seriousness I'd say get it rebuilt, as stated the new shortblocks have been known to have a few "not so good" spots with them. And plus with a rebuilt block you can put stronger internals in it, for when you go 6 months down the road and get the single itch, you don't really have to worry bout them :)

·
Im da TRAIN, u on da trax
666 Posts
get it built, but use better parts than oem

carillo, je, arp, ferrera... etc

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
why build it, he doesnt plan to ever boost over stock because of the detremental effects associated with the BCC (hear my sarcasm). i say buy a 2JZ-GE, never have to worry about it blowing and definately will never hit fuel cut cuz there is no boost.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My only concern about rebuilding, for a street driven car, is 1) You're trusting some mechanic who may or may not know what he's doing to rebuild a fairly complex motor, and 2) When you're using aftermarket internals such as forged pistons, there have been issues with piston slap, oil consumption problems, and premature piston wear due to piston slap, and 3) No one can build to the same spec as a motor from the Toyota factory, and 4) whether the risk of all this is worth it considering it's not really necessary if you're trying to make 500-600hp because the factory 2JZ-GTE can withstand that power output without having to risk all these issues. For a street driven car, these are the concerns. However, for a track car, I'd definitely have the motor fully built.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but to my understanding if nothing was seriously damaged with the block a rebuilt motor core metal is stronger due to the heating and cooling process over time.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
fuc*it said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but to my understanding if nothing was seriously damaged with the block a rebuilt motor core metal is stronger due to the heating and cooling process over time.
thats what breaking a motor in is for, once you are past the break-in point, heating/cooling doesnt really make your block any "stronger" or at least that you would notice. the only way to really make the block stronger would be to have it nitrated or cryogenically frozen.

G

·
fuc*it said:
true that. everytime u run the motor, ur putting it thru a sort of hat treatment. (heating it up when u run it and cooling it down when ur parked). over time, the minute imperfections found in all metals can be phased out thru heat treatment. dont wanna be another head in the crowd, but id say go with a rebuild, with better than OEM parts and by someone certified to rebuild it. i mean, its complex and all, but if u find someone whose got experience in the engine rebuild-field, ull have a better then OEM motor, for a hell of a lot cheaper too. gl with ur decision.

Eric

·
Registered
153 Posts
Get it rebuilt if there are no serious issues (ie. cracked block) you will come out better in the long run. I bought an engine, and they sent me one with a freaking non turbo head and a turbo block...Geez...got my engine rebuilt with aftermarket pistons, exhaust valves, springs, retainers, studs, etc. and it is a beast (gotta do a little tuning). If you decide to go with a rebuild, let me know...

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Some people should really learn about heat treating, LOL. How do you think they take out the hardness? They actually use a heating process to do this also.
What do you mean "No one can build to the same spec as a motor from the Toyota factory"? Id say I would take more care in the assy process of MY motor than someone else would who has never met me or doesnt even live in the US. That statement is a slap in the face to any mechanic.
I think you should sell the supra(if you have one) and buy a kia, they come with a 100K mile warranty, which should ease your mind as you want have to have some half assed US mechanic work on it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts