Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search and all I could find is that 49 step procedure. Which is fine. But I was wondering if anyone knows of a step-by-step guide with pictures to removing the engine (7M-GTE) as easily as possible. I mean, what is the point of removing the ECU as mentioned in that 49 step guide?

I've also heard of a SOGI engine removal checklist, but couldn't seem to find it on the SOGI site. Anyone know where I can find this?

·
Registered
439 Posts
You have to umplug or remove the ECU becouse the engine harness is plugged to it, the harness goes thru the firewall and plugs to the ECU.

I was a total Noob at engine removal or mechanics, mine is allmost done, its all repaired and inside now the plug in process starts.

Remove the Engine with the tranny do not remove it separatly, fiting the cluch with the transmision in the tranny tube was imposible for me.

Label pipes and cables take constant pics of the whole process, if you are set back in time for any reason you can forget where was what, I allso putted the bolts, washers in diferent bags with labels on the bags, much easier to find them later.

I take it you have an engine hoist, but you need an engine stand, sure you can put the engine on top of a tire but you can work much better with a stand, i know i missed it very much, you will need a ring compressor its a pain in the a** to fit the rings without it, even if i managed (needed 4 hands thou).

REMEMBER TO DRAIN THE TRANSMISION FLUID i never saw it in any engine removal write up, or the TSRM, when i pulled the engine with the tranny the fluid came out of the hole of the propeler shaft ( i cant remember the english name correctly), messing my garage floor.

I followed a few, but found the TSRM method better at some points
this page was also good for me
Engine Rebuild

I wish you luck :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I didn't remove the engine with the tranny. I hope I don't have too much trouble putting it back together. Sacoman, if you removed the tranny on the engine, how hard was it to get it all out? That was why I disconnected the tranny, figured it was just to big to remove all at once.

·
way over budget
664 Posts
it's soooo much easier to remove them together, IF you have a load leveler to tilt it out of the bay. I've taken the engine out of my car a few times and my friends car a few times, honestly, I never label anything. All the plugs can only plug into one place so thats easy enough, and there really aren't that many bolts than need removed, and the ones you do neet to take out, can usually be threaded back into whatever hole they came out of so when you put it back all you need to do is bolt up whatever was there before.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
lowbudgettarga said:
it's soooo much easier to remove them together, IF you have a load leveler to tilt it out of the bay. I've taken the engine out of my car a few times and my friends car a few times, honestly, I never label anything. All the plugs can only plug into one place so thats easy enough, and there really aren't that many bolts than need removed, and the ones you do neet to take out, can usually be threaded back into whatever hole they came out of so when you put it back all you need to do is bolt up whatever was there before.
Bingo.

It is rather simple. Visually look around the engine bay and disconnect anything that is holding the block/head/tranny to the chasis (wires, vac. lines, fuel lines, etc.) It is much easier to remove the engine and transmission at the same time, a load leveler is not NEEDED, but damn does it make it alot easier. I removed the engine/transmission once without a leveler and it was hell. Spend the $40-$50 on a load leveler, it is well worth it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I found it Imposible to connect them toguether again, my problems was height i had not enough roof space to take both out, so i took the engine only, later i had to move the car to a better spot, what i did was take the transmision out thru the front were the engine sat with the engine hoist, putted the transmision on the floor and conected both outside, bolted and on the hoist again, I did it solo, so can you, just have to make the evil tranny go down slowly then when its inside push it up with a jack.

I wish i had a engine leveler would have saved me like 5 hours work and curses, but in Spain we dont have stores that sell engine cranes, stands or levelers, you have to search for very specialiced shops and even then you have to order them :(

In spain nearly nobody works on their cars like in USA

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
one thing i did that really helped with the first installation.

because it was my first 7m removal, i bought like 200 ziploc baggies and a magic marker. As soon as a pulled out a bracket, nut ,bolt, i put it in a baggie, labeled it, and then boxed it. When it came time for reinstallation. i just grabbed whatever baggie i needed... install, bam, next baggie.

that saved so much time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SacoMan said:
You have to umplug or remove the ECU becouse the engine harness is plugged to it, the harness goes thru the firewall and plugs to the ECU.

Why not just unplug the harness from the ECU, and leave the ECU where it is?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts