Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to get my engine out . . . and my mechanic turned out to be a very bad person, so I have to do it alone.

Does anyone know of an illustrated guide of how to do it?

I found this http://www.whistlehog.com/data/engine.html which describes all the steps and its great . . . but I want another guide to double check what i'm going to do.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used that exact list a few weeks ago and it is great. Just have some basic handtools, and knowledge, and you'll be all set.

That list and a few threads with more advice are also on SM.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
wow, never seen that befoer since ive been here. added to favorites just for future help to others.

anyway, its a pretty easy process. everyone says its easier to disconnect the wiring harness from the inside and pull it out with the motor. Which i did not do, but after doing it the other way, i would Deffinatly go the way everyone else does!!
Most people say its easier to pull the tranny while pulling the motor. I did and it wasnt that big of hassle at all. Just loosen the crank pulley while its in the car since it might be easier if you do decide to pull the motor apart once its out.
when pulling the motor and tranny its always good to have some help to lift the motor out while someone guides it from hitting everything and pushing down on the tranny if needed while someone pulls the engine stand back away from the car.
Also when pulling the motor, you will need to jack the front end up and bring it out with a tilt.
Its pretty simple, got mine out in about 3 hours with help.
good luck.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've never pulled the engine OUT before . . . Is it easy to unhook the tranny first? I dont want to pull it out if i dont have to. I think i'll be doing this one solo.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
it's easier to line up the tranny and torque the fasteners, ect with it out of the car...

same with the starter, ect...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
yeah, engine and tranny together FTW. I have done this three times now, my friend and I have gotten it down to about two hours start to finish, but it would probably be one hour if we didn't keep losing tools. You can remove it by yourself if you need to (it's hard but possible), but you'll definitely want a friend to help you install it again.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
it's damn near impossible to install without help, pulling is very possible (I did it)

·
Registered
449 Posts
i also agree...pulling the tranny and engine together is way easier....only like 4 bolts difference rather than having to chase down the bellhousing bolts and the limited space we have between the firewall and the tranny.....

pulling the motor is pretty straight forward....good luck and have fun...its definately an experience builder..

·
4,627 Posts
Damn My Dad and I pulled the motor back without the tranny in 2001, on his old supra. He had a lot of patience. It took him a while to figure out we had to take out the slave. But, he and I had all the motor out in about a days work.

And we did it a second time around 6 months later, the same car but we got smart and removed the head. He sold it to my uncle and oil pan somehow got a dent in it and it lost all the oil. :( It took us half the time. You're gonna replace the head bolts anyways. The Trick to fast head removal is not removing the turbo, and angling it out. But if you want to reuse your Metal head gasket i advise you not to use that method. My 2 Cents, I'd look into it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
taking the starter off is a bitch. i know its not just us because igot a jdm 7mgte with tranny and there was a wrench stuck on the starter bolt

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
when taking out that motor make SURE that one fuel line that runs by the driver side is disconnected from the engine..i forgot on my removal and broke that line..its a rubber line..with a banjo bolt at the end under the lower intake runner.OH i would reccomend Zip Lock bags to be more organized and label them ;)

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
hell yes, baggies FTMFW with labels!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
taking the starter off is a bitch. i know its not just us because igot a jdm 7mgte with tranny and there was a wrench stuck on the starter bolt
Thats really funny. Some Japanese guy wants his wrench back

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
BAG AND TAG!

after you do it a couple times it's really not necessary (I dunno if that's cool or just sad...), but I tend to put the bolts back in their holes, ect so I don't lose em anyways...

the parts that will give you issues is the fuel union that he's talking about (dropping the little copper washers on reassembly SUCKS), the wires to the starter aren't easy (I usually do them once I have the engine lifted up some), the oil cooler lines (get some bolts or something to plug em with, and loop a hose to plug the side on the car), clutch line (line wrenches make it easy, but not really), and the A/C compressor, leave it with the car unless you feel like having your A/C system sucked down and recharged...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts