Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra Turbo
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new motor for my 1991 mk3 Supra and am going to be replacing the engine no matter what. I was wondering if it is worth it to go 2jz/1jz or to find another 7m-gte and put that in there. How much of a hassle and how difficult would a jz swap be? And how much more worth a 7m is it?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
What's your budget and ultimate goal?

JZs aren't cheap and there is a decent amount of work involved in making everything work right.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra Turbo
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's your budget and ultimate goal?

JZs aren't cheap and there is a decent amount of work involved in making everything work right.
I’m just tryna have a fun daily. My ultimate goal is 500 whp. That’s why I was contemplating a JZ. That’s about what they can handle safely before I’d need to rebuild the engine and all. Same with the r154 I’m using.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
In this day and age the 7M will be cheaper to hit your goal.

Forged pistons and rods, fuel system, turbo, MHG, and a standalone ECU will get you there for about the same price as the JZ swap.

If you like to half-ass things and cheap out on parts go with the JZ, it'll be a bit more forgiving than the 7M.

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
I’m just tryna have a fun daily. My ultimate goal is 500 whp. That’s why I was contemplating a JZ. That’s about what they can handle safely before I’d need to rebuild the engine and all. Same with the r154 I’m using.
Tale as old as time on this forum, it seems...

Realistically, Pick Two:
-500whp
-daily driveable
-MK3

I genuinely mean no offense, but making all three of those things happen takes a great deal of wrenching knowledge, wrenching time+space, and dedication (money + motivation) to make that all happen.
I would honestly recommend a stock-ish rebuild of your existing 7M-GTE with a MHG+ARP's, and focus on restoring the car and making it nice before worry about whp. That'll make a daily driveable MK3 happen.

If you really want 500whp and daily driveable, there's quite a number of more modern cars that are vastly more ideal than a MK3 for that goal, regardless of 7M vs JZ.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,640 Posts
Can you post pics of your car, interior too. please?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Knox - you should also clarify what vehicle you have. You mention both the 7M and a 7M-GTE. One means you have a turbo model, the other is non turbo. That may shape people's suggestions on a path forward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts