Supra Forums banner

Engine swap questions....

810 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Shaky 
#1 ·
I am looking at replacing my engine in my 94 MKIV TT. I was going to buy a sb from the dealer but after doing some searching on eBay I am actually considering buying a used JDM engine and keeping all the bolt on accessories as spares, and slowly building my stock block ober the next year or two. I do have a few questions though.....

What does VVT-I mean and Aristo mean? Should I stay away from them?

When buying a used engine is there anything I should be looking for specifically for compatability issues? My cars a 94....so is any year engine ok (93+) if it includes the engine harness (Im running a AEM BTW)? Im sure Ill need a tad bit of fine tuning on my AEM, if I get a newer engine, but just wanting to make sure my AEM will fit the other harness.

I would search if I could, but W/O the function up..its kinda hard.

Thanks

#2 ·
I am looking at replacing my engine in my 94 MKIV TT. I was going to buy a sb from the dealer but after doing some searching on eBay I am actually considering buying a used JDM engine
I am still confused on this, why? You want to swap a US 2JZ with a JDM for what reason?

What does VVT-I mean and Aristo mean?
VVT-I = Variable Valve Timing with intelligence
Aristo = Jap Lexus GS

#6 ·
I am still confused on this, why? You want to swap a US 2JZ with a JDM for what reason?

VVT-I = Variable Valve Timing with intelligence
Aristo = Jap Lexus GS
My engine rings are shot and with 96k miles I want to freshen it up a bit. The engine also has a leak here and there as well. I figured swapping a JDM engine into the car would be painless for the most part and give me a chance to build the stock engine that sits in the cars at this time. Over the next year or so I want to completely build the the "seasoned" stock block to the gills, learning the ins and outs of the MKIV as I did with both of my 3/S's. This will give me plenty of time to get a tranny built as well.

So the JDM harness is RHD and will not fit? Can I switch over the US harness on the JDM engine? I see these engines can be bought for about 2k complete. I dont want the car to be down to long as for I start to go through withdrawals from not driving it, so I figured a JDM engine swap was the way to go.

Anymore input on this is greatly appriciated!

#4 ·
Do not go with the vvti..........................jdm engines are completely fine

#5 ·
I am in the middle of what you are talking about. I bought a 6-speed Supra JDM clip with 25k miles. I have a U.S. '95tt auto. I removed my engine and tranny and now I'm swapping over some of the U.S. items to the JDM motor. I'm going single at the same time. There are a few things that are different on the JDM Supra motor. You will want to swap intake manifold, cams, and run the U.S. engine harness. The JDM harness is right hand drive so it won't reach. You can run the JDM cams and intake, even the turbo's but they are smaller so don't make as much power. I'm going with 264 cams. I'm using my U.S. intake manifold and deleting the trac. control. As far as I know the longblock is the same. I will be running an AEM. Stay away from the Aristo motors is what I have heard. Too much of a hassle.

After I'm done with this swap I'm going to rebuild my U.S. motor and have for a spare or I'm going to do a NA to turbo swap. I've heard you can extend the JDM harness but I havn't looked into that yet. John

#7 · (Edited)
the jdm/aristo engine is fine, you can swap anything from your other motor over(harness,oil pan, injectors, cams) you could swap out the jdm turbos but they spool quicker than the USDM turbos and they may not boost to 20psi but I'm boosting 16psi on mine with no problems. However theres no boost control on them without controlling your exhaust flow.

#8 ·
Cool,
So basically..just swap over the harness and Im done? Or do I have to switch cams, injectors, oil pan as you stated above? I am already single :)

I was thinking just having to swap the harness and that was all. I thought the injectors, cams and what not were all the same.

Thanks

#9 ·
Yes you will need to use your U.S. harness. The JDM injectors are 440's so swap over the U.S. ones. You can use all the JDM parts just make sure to check air fuel or swap the items I said plus injectors. You only need to swap over the oil pan if you use the Aristo engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.