Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ส็็็็็็&
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we made the decision to just pull the head for the possibility that I JUST blew the headgasket. First thing we did was pull the headers off the exhaust side of the head. Then we attempted to pull the wireing harness off to get the last piece of intake off of the head. So we worked on that for a good 2 hrs and didnt get very far so we moved on to the valve covers and had that off in no time. I marked the timing belt and cams and then those were removed. At this point it was time for dinner so off to Chili's we went. We made it back to the barn at about 11 and finally finished getting the wireing harness and intake off by around 1:30 (I HATE this intake). That was all we could do for the time being. Tomorrow I have TRY and find the 12pt invert to get those head studs out, we were able to get one out with a 6pt but didnt want to risk stripping one out (what a nightmare that would be). FINALLY tomorrow we get to pull the head off and see what kind of damamge has been done, oh what fun!

QUESTION, how much oil should be under the valve covers? Mine was up to the covers that are covering the valve springs, I'm assuming thats correct?

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I got the head bolt tool from Mac, it's called a bi-hexagon bit. I should rent that damn thing out since I never use it anymore. :p

Once you remove the valve covers, there should be vitually NO oil in the valve area... just a light coating of oil on everything, and maybe a small amount in the bottom where it can't drain back to the bottom end. Sounds like maybe your oil return passage is blocked somehow.

·
ส็็็็็็&
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i guess that would explain the massive amount of oil in the intake too since it had no where else to go. hmmmm interesting

Also, are the head bolts re-useable?

Y

·
0 Posts
Dave H called it, check the oil passages. Since you are tearing down, I'd clean them out and chamfer before reassembly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts