Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys someone just told me that i cannot do my turbo swap because my engine year is wrong. Here is what i am doing I just got a turbo engine out of a 89 (late 88) supra. i am planning on putting it into my 87 supra he says all my connectors are different on the 89 engine vs. the 87 harness this is not true is it. i am still in need of a 87 harness and ECU not a 89 right?????? i feel so dumb asking this :1poke:

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
nope, you need a 89+ harness

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so then i need a 89+ computer aswell right?? How much of a pain in the ass is this gonna be would it be easier to just get a 87 motor?? because this 89+ motor can go in my other sup if this 89 into 87 stuff is gonna be a pain :ugh2:

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK i also just checked a few things out on my "89" supra the door plate says it was assembled on 8/88 so is it an 88 or 89. BTW the plugs where the ecu goes are gray

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
also if you try and put the 89 motor in your 87 the motor moutns will be different and i think the engine crossmember bar or something is different.
89 was the frankenstien year of the supra.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Motor is from a 1990, actually; the harness i included should be what you need, i may still have 2 computers, i dunno i'll look...

·
Now with less BHG...
409 Posts
crossmembers are different, 86.5-88 vs. 89-92.5

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
mustangman05 said:
ok guys someone just told me that i cannot do my turbo swap because my engine year is wrong. Here is what i am doing I just got a turbo engine out of a 89 (late 88) supra. i am planning on putting it into my 87 supra he says all my connectors are different on the 89 engine vs. the 87 harness this is not true is it. i am still in need of a 87 harness and ECU not a 89 right?????? i feel so dumb asking this :1poke:
engine year has NOTHING to do with whether or not it'll go in your chassis, so long as you have the correct motor mounts. i have an '89+ motor in my 86.5.

you DO NOT need an '89+ harness. i don't know what some of these guys are smoking...

your car is an '87, so get an '87-'88 TURBO engine harness, and an 87-88 TURBO ECU. you'll have to change 3-4 connectors on the engine harness, but it's SUPER easy. all of them are only 1-wire connectors. it's as easy as cut, splice, solder, heatshrink/brush on electric tape, and go. done.

the easiest way to tell if you have an 87-88 harness is that the connectors are YELLOW.

with the 87-88 harness, it'll plug right into your chassis side connectors. you should try to find an HAC sensor too, as the pre'89s have an external HAC sensor. (high altitude compensation sensor)

recap:

get an 87-88 turbo harness and ECU (an automatic ECU will work for a manual, but a manual ECU will NOT work for an automatic)

stay away from any 89+ wiring.

edit: you guys aren't THINKING! who gives a crap if the motor mounts don't fit? just swap the ones from the 87's motor onto the 89+ motor, it'll bolt right in. THINK before you post! :faint:

dude, just put the motor in your car. it'll bolt right in if you use your old mounts, and the wiring is super easy if you do what i suggested above. you should ALWAYS get the engine harness that matches the year of your chassis, NOT the year of the motor.

-shaeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts