Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you don't mind answering this please do. I can understand if you dont want to though. I'm just trying to get a feel for what engineers are making in what areas of the country and what companies are paying that. How many years do you have in, and do you know about what the starting pay would be at your company in your area?

I'll start off because I don't care if people know how much I make.
Florida Panhandle, Part time Electrical Engineering Co-Op as I finish school. Jacobs Engineering ~31k. Full time engineer after I graduate, if I stayed there, would bump it up to mid 60s starting pay.

Just trying to get a feel for other areas of the country and other companies are paying because graduation is fast approaching.

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
As an engineering recruiter, I deal with the cost of living/salary/location problems daily. About a year ago, one my clients in Newport Beach, CA needed an EE Manager for around $130K. I found one in Dallas, TX willing to relocate to CA. He was making $90K in TX. I did a cost of living comparison, and to maintain the same style of life in CA as he had in TX, he would need a base salary of almost $200K. :lol:

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
I have placed a lot of engineers at that client. They just don't live there. ;)

·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are several states despite how "nice" they are, I can't live in. Not a fan of having to leave 3/4ths of my arsenal behind or not having a CCW.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,940 Posts
I don't have a ME degree, mine was in Industrial and I minored with Mechanical design.

We do Indoor/Outdoor instrument transformer design and evaluation.
There's a ton of mechanical within this mainly EE company.

Solidworks, about 90% of my day.
The rest goes to production support, and project management/documentation.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,940 Posts
I'm sure at more fancy engineering jobs you could, however most of my work is done with company provided software.
I'd say more statistics, statics, and physics than calc.

Basically, problem solving skills and organization is required above all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
EE, Beaumont, TX Co-Oping with ExxonMobil right now. Third term, $72,162 annually. I've seen about $12,000 extra for every term I return from school, and would expect to see the same starting here full time.

That being said, I don't think there is a worse place in the country to live socially. Cost of living is nothing, but there's a good reason for that. I'm going to graduate school.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts