Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to figure out which one would be more cost effective. Anyone have a professional estimate to how many hours it would take to pull the engine, replace the shortblock, and drop it back in vs how many hours to pull engine, rebuild shortblock, and drop back in?

Thanks!!

· Registered
508 Posts
I too would be VERY interested in this information.
bump for more attention!

· Car guy
1,017 Posts
I have replaced a shortblock before and if I did it again I'd say 12-16 hours would be enough time for me. That is assuming someone is there to help a little and access to a lift and all tools. My buddy owns a shop and charges $1500.00 to remove and reassemble a Supra motor.

I do not know $ amounts about building the motor but it would seem to me to be alot cheaper to just throw in a new shortblock or JDM shortblock/longblock. You will have at least 2-4 weeks of downtime if you have your block rebuilt. Plus it seems like people have more problems with rebuilt blocks then factory shortblocks. Just my opinion though.

Depends on your power goals as well. Give us more information. If you have your motor rebuilt are you talking stock parts or forged rods, pistons? This will make a big difference.

· Registered
425 Posts
Well time would be the same for your labor. Pull the motor, strip it down to the short block to be sent in to be machined or to put all parts on a new shortblock then drop back in. The time difference would be in getting the parts needed for a rebuild then the time for the shop to do the machine work. I've waited a week before to get the rebuilt back but everyshop will be different. If you dropped in a new shortblock you could have the new block ready for the swap the same day and not have to wait for the machine shop.

If you are keeping the short block stock I would just go with a new short block. It will cost roughly the same as a stock rebuild and you will have all new parts, block, crank, pistons, rings, and bearings plus assembled by toyota instead of some local shop. If you plan to upgrade pistons or rods or anything then thats a different story.

Stock shortblock for 2jz-gte is not too expensive. around $2300 most places. A great deal and quicker than waiting for a rebuild from the shop. This is what I plan when I'm ready for a new motor.

Hope this helps a little.

· Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, these guys had the shortblock out, and disassembled in 6 hours...just fyi. Now im looking at what is wrong with the engine. Double knock, but not the bearings...what else could it be?

· Registered
542 Posts
A local shop in Buffalo NY is charging me 32.7 hours to swap shortbocks...is this way off?
I just got that done and the shop went by the book and said 32.7 hours, so yes that is correct. Some who know what they are doing, it will take less time of course. I've personally pulled a motor out of my cars in 2-3 hours. Like the previous posts, you are going to be charged labor. If you decide to send it to a shop, ask previous customers, and see if they have worked on SUPRAS before. A lot of shops will say they have worked on them. Do your homework first... After putting everything in a knocking occured on my car. This is a brand new shortblock from toyota, new head (had to send the head out and have the new valves cut, shimmed, springs and retainers installed, new water pump, oil pump, harnamic balancer, gasket set, etc.... Defintally double check the clearances on the main and rod bolts. It's already out and easy to send it out to have it checked or check it yourself. I have heard there are people who order a new shortblock from toyota and a rod bolt spin. Uhhh... sucks!

· Registered
542 Posts
Ok, these guys had the shortblock out, and disassembled in 6 hours...just fyi. Now im looking at what is wrong with the engine. Double knock, but not the bearings...what else could it be?
Coming from the head or block?

· Registered
1,049 Posts
I just got that done and the shop went by the book and said 32.7 hours, so yes that is correct. Some who know what they are doing, it will take less time of course. I've personally pulled a motor out of my cars in 2-3 hours. Like the previous posts, you are going to be charged labor. If you decide to send it to a shop, ask previous customers, and see if they have worked on SUPRAS before. A lot of shops will say they have worked on them. Do your homework first... After putting everything in a knocking occured on my car. This is a brand new shortblock from toyota, new head (had to send the head out and have the new valves cut, shimmed, springs and retainers installed, new water pump, oil pump, harnamic balancer, gasket set, etc.... Defintally double check the clearances on the main and rod bolts. It's already out and easy to send it out to have it checked or check it yourself. I have heard there are people who order a new shortblock from toyota and a rod bolt spin. Uhhh... sucks!
im in the same boat, i was looking to buy a brand new short block from toyota but i thought it was worries free since it was assembled at toyota... im not sure anymore. I could have a complete jdm engine from a aristo with tranny...etc
for 1100$ with a warranty on it i think it the best way to go

· serbian by blood!!!
3,545 Posts
A local shop in Buffalo NY is charging me 32.7 hours to swap shortbocks...is this way off?
I think that's way off.. I wouldn't go to a shop that doesn't have exp wit mkivs

· Registered
5,622 Posts
I think that's way off.. I wouldn't go to a shop that doesn't have exp wit mkivs
I think you've never done it yourself. Yanking and tearing down a motor is just a fraction of the time involved. The time swapping pans, cleaning and re-cleaning parts, reassembling with proper torque specs, etc, etc. It takes much longer than you'd think.

Rebuild vs. replace all depends on your goals and how much a competent machine shop would charge you.

If you buy an aristo motor then you have to pay them to tear it down to the longblock and reassemble it with your parts, if you rebuild the motor then you just reinstall everything when you get the longblock back from the machine shop.

· Registered
1,512 Posts
What's up Rex !! I hope your getting your self back into a 2j !!!
I would also like to add what it the avg. Cost of a rebuild.. With out taking a motor out ?

· Registered
542 Posts
How's the build going? Figured out the double knock? I'm about to pull my motor out myself this time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.