Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Inline for the win
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any concerns with mounting this sensor to the engine under the intake?

Does anyone know if vibration is an issue with the operation of this sensor?

DP

·
Hardtop FTW!
556 Posts
Cody sells a bracket that mounts the sensor right under the drivers side rear seat underneath the car.

I doubt vibration would be an issue considering OE mounting locations on flex fuel equipped cars.

·
Boost Junkie
12,430 Posts
I had mine on the drivers side inner fender near the master cylinder. It is covered with an SP master cyl cover.

Steve

·
Registered
9,610 Posts
I had mine on the drivers side inner fender near the master cylinder. It is covered with an SP master cyl cover.

Steve
+1 same spot, but no cover...this was the "old" gm style sensor. I am going with the newer "straight through" style when I put the car back together so I havent decided where I am going to put it yet.

Jason

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Mounted mine under the driver side by the salve cylinder

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would always try to mount any sensor to the body of the vehicle. Although they do mount them to the engines on stock vehicles. Engine vibration on highly modded vehicles(engine itself, tire shake, burnouts, etc.) will always kill sensors.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Man I really need to get the smaller in-line Continental sensor. I've got the same big one as DaveT right now.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
I would always try to mount any sensor to the body of the vehicle. Although they do mount them to the engines on stock vehicles. Engine vibration on highly modded vehicles(engine itself, tire shake, burnouts, etc.) will always kill sensors.
Good point and I would want easy access just incase you have to replace it.

·
Administrator
8,442 Posts
bump, are you guys cutting into the factory return for setups mounted underneath or to the rear of the car? Or running a new return all together? There are two studs in the rear drivers side underneath the car that allow you to bolt a continental sensor directly to the body of the car, no bracket needed. I may add a "cage" to protect it better but YOLO!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
bump, are you guys cutting into the factory return for setups mounted underneath or to the rear of the car? Or running a new return all together? There are two studs in the rear drivers side underneath the car that allow you to bolt a continental sensor directly to the body of the car, no bracket needed. I may add a "cage" to protect it better but YOLO!

Thanks
I ran a new return, just a lot easier to deal with.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Attention should be paid to mounting location and plumbing. An issue I've often seen is fuel draining from the line and the sensor not reading a true ethanol content. This will mainly affect starting fuel on e85 due to erroneous readings, but I've also seen jumping readings when the tank gets low and the pump starts to pick up air bubbles. If you use the an fittings, you can place the sensor on the high pressure side which can help a lot. In the below pic, one side of the sensor comes from the rail return, the other goes to the fpr which is mounted at the top of the firewall. This allows the sensor to be at a low point on that section of line ensuring there is always liquid for it to read. Air bubbles are less of an issue due to it being on the high pressure side. I've also had good results with plumbing on the low pressure return side with a Y giving a higher and lower path for the fuel. Higher path for all the air bubbles to take and the lower path for liquid. The sensor sits at the lowest point of the bottom path, which will go back up a little bit to a second Y where the two lines go back to one. This keeps fuel in the sensor at all times for correct starting fuel. Mounting the sensor on the bottom of the car like shown above should work well for starting fuel, but if the pump starts picking up any air on a low tank you'll get jumping readings.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have mine mounted on the same spot ^^

I would also recommend mounting the sensor on the body, not the engine. Vibration and heat will decrease its durability.

·
boost life
2,478 Posts
Is their any concern being somewhat under car with water doing damage to sensor or plug connection

·
Administrator
8,442 Posts
Is their any concern being somewhat under car with water doing damage to sensor or plug connection
The sensor itself is potted and waterproof and your connector going to it should be a weatherpack style connector which should also be waterproof.

I think the bigger concern is it should have some type of cage or something covering it from being hit or damaged by road debris.

·
Inline for the win
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the sensor gets damaged or loss of signal but fuel line is still intact, your ECU should revert to 0% flex fuel if you have it configured properly.

DP

1 - 19 of 19 Posts