Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
6spd TT Supra Restore project

Since I sold my black 6spd Supra a few years ago, I've had a couple of MKIV's since then but didnt find a keeper. Then I remembered my friends Supra that has been sitting for a very long time as he lost interested in the project, we discussed about it and agreed for me to buy it.

Car is an original Eurospec 6spd TT Supra with 38k miles (62k km). The car had originally 10k miles when he bought it back in early 2000's and it was bone stock:

Since then it was modified according to the trend back then, which included a molded Do-Luck bodykit, aftermarket paintwork, carbon hood, aftermarket seats, a bunch of gauges, single turbo etc:

All the mods were done in the early 2000's and basicly the car has sat since around 2005 and never driven except year 2013.

So the car specs when it came to me were like this:
Boost Logic single turbo kit with PTE67 .68 AR
Veilside Titanium exhaust
Boost Logic fuel system
VirtualWorks intake manifold
HKS 264 cams
GReddy 3row IC
AEM V1 and HKS DLI
6 x Defi Gauges
TeinFlex coilovers with EDFC
TRD Steering wheel
Sparco Seats
RPS etc 6 puck clutch

So the project is to restore the car back to the condition it should be and back to OEM body and at the same time modernise the setup a tad.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Picking up the car from the garage it had sat the past 6 years, covered in thick dust:

At home and a quick wash to start to see what I've just bought:

Engine bay definitely needed some work:

Aaah, the low mileage <3

There was a quite strong odor in the car and I soon found out what it was. The car had sat in the garage with the windows open and mice had made nests inside the car.. Which of course included mouse pee and shit, yuck!

So off goes the seats and mat and pressure washed it 3 times:

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I didnt like the Sparco seats, I bought some Recaro SR5 seats in leather, I had the same ones in my black Supra and I really like them. They are apparently discontinued now but I managed to snatch some old stock from a German web shop:

I also started to remove all the extra gadgets the car had, like the 6 Defi gauges, Racelogic traction control, Turbo timer etc.. Which meant the stock wiring harness looked like this: (you can also see the new wheels I got to replace the ones that came with the car)

After some work:

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
As the VirtualWorks intake manifold was an overkill for my future power goals, I decided to sell it and go with the OEM intake manifold and TB. I had them as left over from my old car as it had the Titan street manifold. I had the intake manifold it media blasted and the stock TB remoced the TRAC stuff. I also found some missing wiring harness plastics as they had been removed because of the VW intake manifold:

I also welded the holes on the upper radiator neck:

Also I decided to ditch the old school AEM V1 and bought a MaxxECU race. It's a bolt on ECU with really nice features, including Bluetooth, flexfuel, VE maps etc. It's priced really nice too:

Since the PTE67 .68 was quite old school as well, I went with a smaller Holset HX40 T3 turbo. It's good for around 700hp crank (actually the same as the PTE67) and I've used it in another build before. So I decided to get one for this one as well. It's a 60/65 T3 divided vs 67/64 T4 open compared to the PTE67. I should gain a lot of spool with the new turbo, in a previous Supra I had 1 bar of boost around 3k rpm.

As the BL manifold is divided T4, I opted for a billet T4 -> T3 adapter as I plan to go with a T4 turbo at some point with a built engine so I didnt want to cut up the manifold:

The ceramic coating on the manifold was quite worn so I used some VHT Flameproof to make it look nice again. I also shortened the water lines going to the heater core etc and insulated them. Dont worry about the rusty manifold nuts, they are getting replaced. I also got a PHR thermostat rotator plate.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The oil lines that came with the BL kit didnt fit the new turbo with the adapter plate and it had leaked and I didnt like that a rubber line went so close to the hot manifold, so I made a new oil return line from stainless steel going to a AN10 PTFE hose:

Had an oil feed line made and installed the turbo:

I also made a new 3.5" downpipe to replace the 3" downpipe that came with the car:

The car came with a Boost logic fuel kit, but I decided to replace the hoses as they were 15 years old with some PTFE braided lines. I also replaced the BL fuel rail with a NUKE fuel rail that has injector retaining clips. You can also see the repaired injector etc wiring harness you might have seen in some of the pics.

The car had 2000cc injectors as the previous owner planned to go with E85 in 2013, but again, these were an overkill and I replace these with ASNU 1500cc injectors (these are the same as ID1700x injectors: ID1700x Injectors - Injector Dynamics

Current look of the engine bay:

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As the GReddy intercooler piping was modified to fit the VW intake and from the hotside it went through the fender, I made new intercooler for the hot side to go straight down:

For the cold side I was lazy and bought a Whifbitz IC kit which fit quite nice:

·
Super Moderator
10,363 Posts
Krister,

I almost posted too quickly last night, but I didn't want to interrupt your flow. Your work is always quality and I do like where this is going. Looking forward to the journey.

Ken.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ken!

I like projects like these, you get to see your handy work and makes you feel good that you've fixed some stuff the previous owner neglected or didnt do up to my standards. This is quite a big project though and with family and two small kids, I mostly get to work with the car during evenings.

This week I have prepped the car for paint, so I took the door panels and interior trim out, stripped the targa head lining etc:

This sunday the car is off to paint to get the OEM Alpine silver paint back on. It's not my favorite paint on a MKIV, I would have wanted a white, anthracite or a black one, but I value the original paint color more than changing to a more "nicer" color.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Supra went to the body shop this week:

There was alot of bondo on the rear quarter panels. The body was even straight under the bondo, so I dont understand why there was so much bondo. Asked the previous owner and he said the bodykit didnt fit so good so they needed to bondo the whole rear quarter. Oh well, now it's stripped to metal and will be back to OEM:

Bondo sanded off:

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the mean time when the Supra is at the bodyshop, I had the Veilside Titanium exhaust modified to full 3.5"

·
Super Moderator
10,363 Posts
Krister,

You're moving fast, the kind of build threads I like.

What type of rear tower bar is that I see?

Incidentally, the VeilSide titanium has an internal diameter of 90 mm, or 3.6 inches, a tenth larger in diameter than you may have thought. So, now, you're 3.6 inches from stem to stern. Nice.

Keep up the good work!

Ken.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, spring is coming so I hope to have the car finished soon. :) Car should have the body painted this week I hope.

I think the rear strut bar is a Cusco.

·
Registered
77 Posts
wow! you got a rare Supra spec! cant wait to see the end result!

mine is a RHD Euro spec TT auto, converted to 6speed now.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, thats why I wanted to convert it to original paint and body. I dont think there are many around with this low mileage.

·
Registered
77 Posts
yes i agree. unfortunately mine is not in its original paint (black 202). but my car is currently at 38k miles

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Almost finished. Picking her up this monday and I will put it back together in my garage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts