Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HKS EVC IV boost controller, not sure how old it came with the car. With stock twins it worked fine and the stepping motor was mounted near the intake. Now single, I moved the stepping motor to my charcoal canister location, and the evc will not reach the set boost limit. I set it at 1 bar just to test and it will stop at .8 or .9, also inital boost response is not as it should be. Does anyone have any idea whats wrong, is it location of the stepping motor that fried it? Is it just time up for the EVC? What should I do differently when I get a new one?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Somebody had this problem before, help me out.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
It doesn't seem logical that distancing the solenoid would produce quicker feedback and lower setpoint boost so I'd say there is some adjustment on the unit (sorry, don't know anything about the "fuzzy-IV") that needs touch-up.

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Sorry to bring up this old thread.

Did you ever solve this problem? Or can anyone else give some insight here

I am having the same issue right now.

Have an EVC IV... worked great with the stock twins.

Went single... and I cannot get the boost to reach set level. At max boost setting of 2 bar i am at 14.5 psi (1 bar).

Will start to troubleshoot soon.... but anyone have any starting ideas?

B-

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Okay guys,

I've found alot of other thread with people having this similar problem...

I just did some troubleshooting... all the electrical seems fine, the vacuum lines fine also.

I reset the unit... MOD+ALT+SBC... which zero's everything in memory

I then went thru the auto adjustment/calibration procedure. it was successful the first time each run.

I found the low to be 0.58 bar, which is a tad lower than the 0.7 bar that is my minimum boost.

Now I am not as off as I was before... but basically IT IS STILL OFF.

When set to 1.2 bar... i am hitting almost 1 bar.

Why the difference? Any clues?

B-

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
what do you have your wastegate selector switch set to?

Swing valve or Internal wastegate =SW

Dual port or External wastegate =PO

with the stock twins you would use SW but with the new single setup you should have it set to PO

hope this helps
-AL

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Ranger498 said:
what do you have your wastegate selector switch set to?

Swing valve or Internal wastegate =SW

Dual port or External wastegate =PO

with the stock twins you would use SW but with the new single setup you should have it set to PO

hope this helps
-AL
Hey Al,

Its set to PO... at first when i installed it, i had it set to SW by accident which resulted in no boost control whatsoever.

Btw... its starting to get cold around here and that TRD jacket from the meet is sweet :)

How is your car coming along?

B-

·
10,459 Posts
SupraLizard said:
Hey Al,

Its set to PO... at first when i installed it, i had it set to SW by accident which resulted in no boost control whatsoever.

Btw... its starting to get cold around here and that TRD jacket from the meet is sweet :)

How is your car coming along?

B-
try this link
http://www.hksusa.com/faq/?ID=1647

ahh man i wanted that jacket so bad ..:(

well thank Curt aigner for it he was one of the great sponsors that donated items :D

my car is 98% done just need to do a little finishing up.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390261

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts

·
LD President
502 Posts
i was gonna suggest the sw/po switch also. there is a certain way you have to go about switching it (ie, something like the ign has to be on, but unit off, etc etc). are you able to reach these limits w/out the bc? if so, check the vac lines to the stepper unit. if it's still the same regardless, check your vacuum lines to your wg and turbo.

good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
Are you taking boost from two difference places? If the reference for the boost controller is coming from the compressor and the gauge is coming off the manifold, it will read differently.

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Kaiser said:
Are you taking boost from two difference places? If the reference for the boost controller is coming from the compressor and the gauge is coming off the manifold, it will read differently.
There are 3 ports on the controller:

PORT1 > I have it going to the Manifold (after TB) to get Boost/Vac reading. It is teed into the same line that my boost guage and my BOV's are on.

PORT2 > I have this going to the compressor and teed into the lower port of an HKS GT wastegate

PORT3> Goes to the top of the wastegate.

How does that sound?

·
10,459 Posts
SupraLizard said:
There are 3 ports on the controller:

PORT1 > I have it going to the Manifold (after TB) to get Boost/Vac reading. It is teed into the same line that my boost guage and my BOV's are on.

PORT2 > I have this going to the compressor and teed into the lower port of an HKS GT wastegate

PORT3> Goes to the top of the wastegate.

How does that sound?
the link i gave you explains where and what to connect to :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts