Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does the low boost and the high boost setting means?

do anyone have instruction for setting the evc4 to 18 psi?

any instructions will help. thanks in advance!;)

·
Very Senior Member
9,950 Posts
Functions:

Setting the volume knob: Whenever you make an adjustment the settings, you may see a flashing L, turn the knob down (counter clockwise), then it will show a flashing H, turn the knob up (clockwise). Turn it back and forth as instructed until it sets itself.

Mode: Allows you to change EVC settings. Hit once for Offset.
2 times for Scramble boost, amount to add to the preset boost (i.e., 0.2bar).
3 times sets the length of time for the "added" scramble boost to last (0-30sec.)
4 times for Overboost Warning Mode. (***This is very important, if it hits higher than the overboost setting, the unit will shut down to stock boost. This will keep you from blowing up your car***) Always set this after you reset the EVC. Put it 0.1 to 0.15 higher than the high boost you are planning on running.

Alt: Switches between high and low boost mode. Lights up Green in Low, Red in High Mode.

Power: Duh!

Scramble Boost: Activates Added boost for the period you set with the mode button.

Resetting the EVC: Hold the top 2 buttons along with the lower right button to reset it. (Mode, ALT, and Scramble)

Tuning for Supra:

Turn the power on and reset the unit.

Turn the knob and set your stock boost.

(if you don't know it, set it at 0.65, hit the scramble button, and then go to redline in third gear. This is your Max stock boost. reset the EVC and then use this number)

Hit the scramble button and then add 0.15 bar to your stock boost (i.e., if your stock boost is 0.9 then enter 1.0) then hit scramble again.

Important: Hit mode 4 times to set your overboost.

Boost will now be set at you stock boost in low mode. Hit ALT to switch to High Boost mode and enter in how much boost you want.

Go do a 3rd gear pull and see if you get the desired boost. If it makes more boost than you want then reset the unit and add 0.5 more to your stock boost (0.2), if you get less, then add 0.5 less (0.1) etc.

If you can only get so close, you will have to use the Offset feature.

Hit the mode button once, and you will see 100. If you are overboosting, turn it up (between 101-150) if you are underboosting turn it down (between 99-50)

TTC Tuning:

Reset the EVC.

Hold down the ALT and Scramble Buttons (the 2 right buttons)
This will put the EVC in Learning Mode and display a L on the screen.

In third gear, accelerate until the EVC beeps and displays an H. (this may or may not be to redline.

Again in 3rd gear, from the same RPM as the first pull, go all the way to redline and let off. The unit should then beep and show your stock boost. Go ahead and set your overboost and then your desired boost level.

If you don't get desired boost (assuming its realistic), or it didn't go from L to H, you need to start from scratch.

If you still don't get the desired boost, you can use the offset button explained above to fine tune things.

If you can't get the unit to go from L to H, then you are either doing something wrong (i.e., not following instructions or are in Sequential mode). or you have some sort of vacuum or boost leak that is making boost inconsistent, keeping the EVC from learning your boost curve.

I take no responsibility for your actions, but as long as you set your overboost correctly you shouldn't be able to blow up anything. For the record all test pulls should be done on a closed racetrack.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
VickSupra said:
(if you don't know it, set it at 0.65, hit the scramble button, and then go to redline in third gear. This is your Max stock boost. reset the EVC and then use this number)
This is how you determine your stock boost.

Great tech article Vick, who wrote it?;)

Oh wait I did. :p

supra178,

I wouldn't set your boost at more than 1.2 bar to be safe.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i thought there's a overboost warning that you can set? will it be pretty rough for my car if i run 1.25? is 1.25 the limit for being on the safe side?thanks!:D

·
Very Senior Member
9,950 Posts
RSA Supra said:

This is how you determine your stock boost.

Great tech article Vick, who wrote it?;)

Oh wait I did. :p

supra178,

I wouldn't set your boost at more than 1.2 bar to be safe.
Sorry, I didn't mean to appear to take credit for it.
It was emailed to me some time back but I didn't know where it originally came from.

I agree - start on the low side for high boost. You can creep up later, but don't be too surprised if you happen to blow an IC hose!!

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Vick,

I wasn't claiming that you were taking credit, just poking you in the ribs. :p

Supra178,

I would learn your stock boost and then set the High boost at 1.2 bar, and your overboost @ 1.3bar And T bolt clamps will definitely help. I thought I broke my car the first time my primary IC hose popped off. I took the car up to 140 for the 1st time and when I let off there was a loud pop, and then no more power :eek: I costed to the side of the freeway under a light, popped the hood and looked around and saw it. Thank God, I thought.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my other question regards to this EVC4 is if i set the over boost at 1.3 bar then during the high gears should out cars gives boost spikes?

let's say if 3rd and 4th gears stayed at 1.2, i'm sure on 5th gear the boost will start spiking. so the EVC4 will shut down to stock boost after it hits 1.3 or higher after 3 times. is there a way to prevent the boost spikes on 5th and 6th? thanks in advance!:)

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
The EVC is usually pretty good at keeping boost from spiking too much if you set it right. The reason you do a 3rd gear pull it to fully load the engine but avoid having to go 150 to do so. I'm don't know what 3rd gear in a 6-spd tops out at, but in an auto its ~120, so you can't just go set the thing anywhere. But if you see what your stock boost is in 3rd and 4th and then 5th. This will be whatever it stabilizes at. Then use that number to set your baseline when tuning the EVC. Just follow the instructions and it should work well. If it spikes above 1.30 no matter what you do just for a little while, then set your safety at 1.35, but I wouldn't do that if it holds higher than 1.25 for a while cause you'll risk high EGT's.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the EVC4 have the peak hold function. if yes, how can i see it. sometimes i would like to have my eyes on the road instead of them glued to the EVC4. thanks!:D

P

·
0 Posts
I have a question with all this stock boost stuff....What if I want to use it on a vehicle that was originally NA? What does the unit do in this case? Does it basically turn itself off when it hits overboost?

Should I have a manual boost controller on there as well, if this is even possible?

Just trying to get some boost conrtol info...new to turbos. Getting no where reading the broken english and lack of info on the manufacturers websites :(

·
man whore
318 Posts
pugs said:
I have a question with all this stock boost stuff....What if I want to use it on a vehicle that was originally NA? What does the unit do in this case? Does it basically turn itself off when it hits overboost?

Should I have a manual boost controller on there as well, if this is even possible?

Just trying to get some boost conrtol info...new to turbos. Getting no where reading the broken english and lack of info on the manufacturers websites :(
if the car was na and has had a turbo kit put on it the boost controller should work just the same as on any other turbo car.:)

P

·
0 Posts
ELMTOYPARTS said:
No turbo's on N/A = NO BOOST= No Boost Controller
ORIGINALLY NA...read much???

What about this overboost function. It sounds like the unit basically turns off when this occurs. Since it would be only form of controlling boost, I dont want it to turn off. Would I just need to set the overboost really high so it wont get to that poin? But that pretty much negates its purpose.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts