Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last summer i had some blue clouds puffing out of the exhaust during startup when the car had been sitting for a few days

removed the exhaust manifold and saw that 2 valves were all oily.. removed the head and replaced the seals, but now the car is smoking even worse! it smokes all the time, and the same 2 valves are oily.. did a compression test, and all numbers were fine, 12-11,9-12-11,9-12-12.

the valveseals are installed correctly.

so now what? Valveguides?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Could be valveguides. You are getting oil from somewhere... Its constant now? I would bet on the guides. If it were rings, you wouldnt have the compression you have. If it was leftover oil, it would have burnt off by now....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes it´s constant now, must have damage a guide somehow when i pulled out the valves, dropped the head off at my local speedshop today.

at what compression would the rings make the smoke? 11.5 ? or lower?

edit: this smoke is on idle, a tiny bit more is coming when reving it up.

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
yes it´s constant now, must have damage a guide somehow when i pulled out the valves, dropped the head off at my local speedshop today.

at what compression would the rings make the smoke? 11.5 ? or lower?

edit: this smoke is on idle, a tiny bit more is coming when reving it up.

why don't you take it back to them, and let them fix it. did you take to them about this?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would bet that the damage would be to the valve stem not the guide. Its easy when you are tugging on the valve seals to accidentally scratch one of the valve stems. Unless the damage was to a guide from the start.

The other posibility is that the seals you put on are not securely seated on the guide, or are the wrong/defective seals.

Did you replace just the seals that you saw leaking, or all of them?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would bet that the damage would be to the valve stem not the guide. Its easy when you are tugging on the valve seals to accidentally scratch one of the valve stems. Unless the damage was to a guide from the start.

The other posibility is that the seals you put on are not securely seated on the guide, or are the wrong/defective seals.

Did you replace just the seals that you saw leaking, or all of them?
I replaced all the seals, vent with Blue Viton. thoose should be pretty good right? will they need to replace the seals if they find som bad guides?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I replaced all the seals, vent with Blue Viton. thoose should be pretty good right? will they need to replace the seals if they find som bad guides?
Probably wont need new ones again, just depends on the condition of the seals.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably wont need new ones again, just depends on the condition of the seals.
Alright, they should be good, under 1hrs running with them, thanks for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts