Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm just wondering if any of you guys have any stories about this. I'm building a low 10 second car, have no roll cage/bar in it as of now and I'd like to keep it that way as it's a daily driver. I've heard a lot about people getting a warning that if they go that fast again, they'll get booted. We have a sport compact event at the local track here and luckily the 6 cylinder class isn't terribly competitive. I think the fastest cars are running in the 11's. Still, if I'm in the competition and need to run my car down to the 10's, will I get booted if I'm in the final? I realize this may depend on the track and crew, but anyone get booted from 1 run?

·
Premium Member
11,271 Posts
My first run in my supra I went 11.9...... the track told me that any more 11 sec runs without a cage and I was done. Needless to say we turned the boost down and ran low 12s. This was well over 10 years ago!

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first run in my supra I went 11.9...... the track told me that any more 11 sec runs without a cage and I was done. Needless to say we turned the boost down and ran low 12s. This was well over 10 years ago!
Larry, I'd think based on some of the wittiness you displayed in our aim conversation yesterday ("if you put the car in gear, take your foot off the brake and go backwards, you're in reverse!"), you'd ask what would happen if you ran some 9 or 10 second runs. ;)

·
Registered
780 Posts
So I'm just wondering if any of you guys have any stories about this. I'm building a low 10 second car, have no roll cage/bar in it as of now and I'd like to keep it that way as it's a daily driver. I've heard a lot about people getting a warning that if they go that fast again, they'll get booted. We have a sport compact event at the local track here and luckily the 6 cylinder class isn't terribly competitive. I think the fastest cars are running in the 11's. Still, if I'm in the competition and need to run my car down to the 10's, will I get booted if I'm in the final? I realize this may depend on the track and crew, but anyone get booted from 1 run?
Yes. I think Darin had this problem at the NHRA Sport compact event in moroso a couple weekends ago.

Trust me if any racer can find a way to get you DQ'd they will do it.

·
Not your average auto mk3
1,046 Posts
I got booted from New England Dragway for runing 10.50s with no bar.

Unloaded the car at around 9, made a pass, said i was too fast and to slow it down, made another pass and didnt slow it down, said to put it on the trailer before i even got my timeslip. In the stands watching by 10:15. Good times.

·
Stock Twin 6 spd King
1,731 Posts
I got booted 3 times last year. Rules are rules but it pissed me off that my car was probably the only car near stock at the track so it's not like it was horribly modified or unsafe....but, as I said, rules are rules. I ran 11.4, 11.3, & 11.2 all on different days and got booted after each run :(.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Track manager and I at New England Dragway are on a first name basis because of this. I'd try every week. One good launch standing on the brakes at the 1000.
Then let her rip. Each time I got told to slow it down, park it, or never come back.
Put a cage in it, it's a real hassle having to fight them all the time. You can use swing outs to keep it "street", and hide the rear bars along the roof line ending on the tops of the strut towers so you dont really see it.
Not too sure about NHRA, but IHRA says you can run a 6point to 10.0, and it does not need to be certified....well, that was a few years back.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I got booted 3 times last year. Rules are rules but it pissed me off that my car was probably the only car near stock at the track so it's not like it was horribly modified or unsafe....but, as I said, rules are rules. I ran 11.4, 11.3, & 11.2 all on different days and got booted after each run :(.
Matt,
Was this at Mason-Dixon? They are pretty strict. They booted me for
an 11.40 when I was BPU. MIR let me run three 10 second passes at
an Import shootout. They warned me each time, but I went to the
finals and they let me run. If another racer had complained I would have
been DQ'd I'm sure.
Wayne

·
Boost Junkie
12,622 Posts
At our local track you can runs 10s all day long and they look the other way. Once you get close to 9s or hit 9s, they start looking, hence the reason I was only able to run a 10.002 as I was booted before I could make another pass that day. I am going to go back sometime this year to see how much slower the car ETs with the 6-speed. I'm hoping for a 10.3 or 10.4. We'll see.

Steve

·
Diehard 4G63/AWD User
666 Posts
Yes. I think Darin had this problem at the NHRA Sport compact event in moroso a couple weekends ago.

Trust me if any racer can find a way to get you DQ'd they will do it.
Yup...remember last year when someone snitched on Buschur's street EVO and he got kicked out after qualifying 1st? :wavey: Your competition will do ANYTHING to knock you out.

You can most likely get away with it at your local TNT track depending on how strict they are. I see people run low 10's all day at the local track with just a helmet.

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Luckily for me, the other 11 second 6 cylinders don't have roll cages either, so they're just as guilty as me.

·
Stock Twin 6 spd King
1,731 Posts
Matt,
Was this at Mason-Dixon? They are pretty strict. They booted me for
an 11.40 when I was BPU. MIR let me run three 10 second passes at
an Import shootout. They warned me each time, but I went to the
finals and they let me run. If another racer had complained I would have
been DQ'd I'm sure.
Wayne
Wayne,

Yes, this was at Mason Dixon. The last time I got booted the tech guy looked like he was going to have an aneurysm while he was yelling at me to leave and not come back without the proper safety equipment. I have the car all torn apart right now installing a S&W 8 point bar kit. :)

Matt

·
Registered
66 Posts
It all depends on the track. I had a 10.0 legal car and was booted from the local track for going 141mph. I was still in the 10's but anything over 135mph requires the same safety gear as 9.99 and better. It really depends on the track. The tracks around here will boot you for going faster than 11.5 without a bar and jacket.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Wayne,

Yes, this was at Mason Dixon. The last time I got booted the tech guy looked like he was going to have an aneurysm while he was yelling at me to leave and not come back without the proper safety equipment. I have the car all torn apart right now installing a S&W 8 point bar kit. :)

Matt
Yeah, they can get a bit intense. :)
Wayne

·
Registered
722 Posts
Booted

I ran 11.2 at 130mph in Fontana and got booted ( No cage,jacket ect).

·
GT-R guy
490 Posts
Guilly got me asked to slow down at Phoenix one event. Went up in the tower and told them I was running under my tech time. Running 11.2 teched to 12.0.

One of those things I will never forget the prick for.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts