Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice that since the MKV's debut was constantly filled with 'A90' this and 'A91' that, etc, a shitload of people have taken to calling MK3's and MK4's 'A70' and 'A80' all of a sudden?

I find it annoying for some reason. The whole chassis code at least specifies an engine (e.g. MA70) and a model year tells us a specific model year which narrows down a lot of other details, but just saying 'A70' tells us nothing that 'MK3' doesn't and just seems pointlessly silly.

What's everyone else think?

·
Registered
2006 Volvo XC90 Turbo I5
20 Posts
I've always used a mix of A70 and MK3, A80 and Mk4. Really just depends. Although I would say in general though, A90 has been used a lot more often than Mk5. At least it feels like it

·
Registered
114 Posts
The only way I see it "helpful" is to your non-enthusiast. Beats the "is that a 1J Supra?" When its an mk3.. Can't tell you how many times I've been asked that. lol General public sees it as the 1JZ model and the cool 2JZ model lol Personally, I think MK"x" is best.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Chassis codes were always a thing in Japan. I think now with the launch of the MkV and probably the fact that the marketing side of things was governed by Japanese people this has somehow led to the situation you‘re referring to. I also prefer the common wording that was used before the new Supra.

·
Super Moderator
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chassis codes were always a thing in Japan. I think now with the launch of the MkV and probably the fact that the marketing side of things was governed by Japanese people this has somehow led to the situation you‘re referring to. I also prefer the common wording that was used before the new Supra.
True, but the common usage was simply '70 Supra' or '80 Supra' which does the same with less, or it's the whole chassis code which is useful since it dictates the engine family and options, such as GA70H which denotes a 1G-GTE widebody - useful and specific into.

I'm speaking more to the specific use of just 'A70' or 'A80' in lieu of the previously common 'MK3' vs 'MA70' vs '70 Supra' sorts of nomenclature.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
I always use MA70 or JA70 as we have lots of RHD supra folks in here. Conversion from 7m to 1j I still refer to MA70.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think its always been common with Toyota. Most MR2 guys call them by their codes. The old Corolla AE86s. With Supra it seems like it flops around. I think Toyota has been pushing it to give credibility to the new models and honestly Im not into buy foe nostalgic reasons but other sure are..... Look at all the remake/reboot movies that have did great at the box office

·
Blue Thunder
3,694 Posts
But it's NOT an A90...it's a J29 !!!! UGH

Reactions: FasTTurbo

·
Super Moderator
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think its always been common with Toyota. Most MR2 guys call them by their codes. The old Corolla AE86s. With Supra it seems like it flops around. I think Toyota has been pushing it to give credibility to the new models and honestly Im not into buy foe nostalgic reasons but other sure are..... Look at all the remake/reboot movies that have did great at the box office
Seems I failed to fully explain myself

AW11, SW20, AE86, MA70, JZA80, these have always been common or somewhat common.

Nobody has ever called them W11, W20, E86, A70, A80 etc until the MKV's got marketed as A90's. And it fucking bugs me for some reason.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oh I can understand that. For the longest time the only people who used those codes were real car people. People who worked on their cars, spent hours on forum sites reading and spending way to much money on cars they loved. And even then it was usually only used as an abbreviation so you knew what they were talking about. Now its a marketing ploy and a way for people to try and sound snooty while they are posting pics on Instagram and feel like their connected to an era that came and went a long time ago. Its almost like they are tarnishing or cheapening a piece of history that should have stayed underground. Well at least thats the reason it kind of irks me.

·
Blue Thunder
3,694 Posts
I get what Wreckless is saying. They are guilty of it here ! The 2020+ A90
Toyota Supra forum?!? HAHAHAHA

Reactions: Mr Ree NZ

·
Super Moderator
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But it's NOT an A90...it's a J29 !!!! UGH
The Z4 is the G29, and the 'MKV' by platform is the J29. A proper equivalent to the 'JZA80' nomenclature, though, would be the DB22/DB42 etc nomenclature as that designates trim level and powertrain data.
The wikipedia article discussing it is surprisingly detailed:

In the inimitable Shakespearean way of saying it
"A Rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet'

Same goes for a lukewarm IHOP pancake with no syrup. Or a microwaved cup of dog shit.

Lucky for Toyota and BMW, the existing sports car market left everyone so hungry that people will still say it's good. I hope against all reason that it's successful enough to warrant an all-Toyota MK6 that is easily tuned and completely free of any BMW pieces of any kind, so we can just pretend the MKV didn't exist - much like how Dodge Challenger guys all forget that second generation FWD thing bearing the Challenger name in the 80's.

• Haha
Reactions: $9ktt

·
Tree Hugger
827 Posts
I've always preferred naming them by the chassis codes, JZA80, JZA70, MA70, JZZ30, JZS147,JZS161, JZX90/100 etc etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,801 Posts
I'm guessing the A90/91 BS was Toyota's deceptive attempt to make the uninformed believe the MKV was, somehow, a lineal descendant of the MA40, MA60, MA70 and JZA80 cars and, furthermore, took steps to ensure the dastardly letters "JZ" were not included in the MKV chassis designation.

Such a situation (including the letters JZ) would invite constant comparison to the JZA80 when it knew the MKV would be a badge-engineered BMW and bear no relation to the previous generation cars other than the "Supra" moniker. It did not appreciate that constant, inevitable comparisons would be made despite its best efforts.

Never revealing it was a BMW through and through until its official release, including the 86, but not prior generation Supras, in company-sponsored official reveal events and calling it an A90 when nothing could be further from the truth were all elements of a failed strategy to make the car something it's not and an attempt to fool the buying public while doing so.

For shame.

Ken.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This can be said for far too many things...

Oh I can understand that. For the longest time the only people who used those codes were real car people. People who worked on their cars, spent hours on forum sites reading and spending way to much money on cars they loved. And even then it was usually only used as an abbreviation so you knew what they were talking about. Now its a marketing ploy and a way for people to try and sound snooty while they are posting pics on Instagram and feel like their connected to an era that came and went a long time ago. Its almost like they are tarnishing or cheapening a piece of history that should have stayed underground. Well at least thats the reason it kind of irks me.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nobody has ever called them W11, W20, E86, A70, A80 etc until the MKV's got marketed as A90's.
Not true. Maybe this is a US concept but in other parts of the world we've always referred to cars as their chassis codes. Why create a whole new 'language' and refer to A70's as MK3's when we can simply call them A70's? Yes, that doesn't tell us 'specific details' but then neither does MKIII.

I've always thought the MKIV, MKIII terminology to be a pretty US centric.

Reactions: REDWOLF25165

·
Super Moderator
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not true. Maybe this is a US concept but in other parts of the world we've always referred to cars as their chassis codes. Why create a whole new 'language' and refer to A70's as MK3's when we can simply call them A70's? Yes, that doesn't tell us 'specific details' but then neither does MKIII.

I've always thought the MKIV, MKIII terminology to be a pretty US centric.
I've seen MA70, MA71, JZA70, etc since I got into these cars in 1999.
I never saw 'A70' until this year.

Reactions: JoeC

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've seen MA70, MA71, JZA70, etc since I got into these cars in 1999.
I never saw 'A70' until this year.
Might need to get out more then. :LOL:

·
Registered
1989 Sport Roof White Pkg 7M-GTE
124 Posts
Never revealing it was a BMW through and through until its official release, including the 86, but not prior generation Supras, in company-sponsored official reveal events and calling it an A90 when nothing could be further from the truth were all elements of a failed strategy to make the car something it's not and an attempt to fool the buying public while doing so.

For shame.

Ken.
I'm not worried. Being BMW's these cars will not have the longevity of the previous Japan built Supras. I fully believe my rebuilt MkIII will be road worthy when the MK V's have all been retired due to maintenance needs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts