Supra Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Tree Hugger
827 Posts
I've always thought the MKIV, MKIII terminology to be a pretty US centric.
You might be right about this being a US thing, but I think I remember growing up never writing "MKIII" but instead "MK2, MK3, MK4"..

This was a generic term that only specified year and model to me, whereas MA70 gives me motor information along with JZA70.. That opens up knowing which market this car was for sale in, what transmissions and motors were available.. "A70" is as generic as "MK3" to me; just different times of growing up, or different parts of the world?

·
Registered
117 Posts
The more I think about it Toyota probably wants to separate the Supra brand from engine codes as I’d put money on the next generation Supra, if there is one, will have an electric motor offered. I'd use the fact that they used a BMW engine for the new one as an indication of such.

·
Blue Thunder
3,700 Posts
The more I think about it Toyota probably wants to separate the Supra brand from engine codes as I’d put money on the next generation Supra, if there is one, will have an electric motor offered. I'd use the fact that they used a BMW engine for the new one as an indication of such.
the ENTIRE car is BMW. Not just the engine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
True, but my point being that was probably the biggest let down for your enthusiast. Fact is kids aren't into cars anymore either. The marketing is steering towards the next generation of drivers but in reality they don't give two fucks as long as it has apple play and a touch screen. And electric is cool saves the earth. Mining precious metals isn't bad, they aren't a non renewable resource or anything. Still can't understand why e85 isn't more mainstream as a sustainable alternative, no reason it can't be done.

·
Blue Thunder
3,700 Posts
Still can't understand why e85 isn't more mainstream as a sustainable alternative, no reason it can't be done.
You do know what e85 is made from? Another VAUABLE resource..called corn. Guess who uses corn? People and animals. Ever since E85 has been pushed on us...feed prices (CORN) have also increased. As has ANYTHING that uses corn. Beef, chicken, pork, CORN prices. That's the WRONG way to go for a renewable resource. Oh let's just make fuel out of our limited supply of FOOD !!! LOL

·
From the land down under
4,626 Posts
You do know what e85 is made from? Another VAUABLE resource..called corn. Guess who uses corn? People and animals. Ever since E85 has been pushed on us...feed prices (CORN) have also increased. As has ANYTHING that uses corn. Beef, chicken, pork, CORN prices. That's the WRONG way to go for a renewable resource. Oh let's just make fuel out of our limited supply of FOOD !!! LOL
Lots of places are making ethanol now out of waste products, so it doesnt affect the food chain, but I understand that there is a reason you fellas refer to it as corn juice in the USA ;)

·
Blue Thunder
3,700 Posts
The Z4 is the G29, and the 'MKV' by platform is the J29. A proper equivalent to the 'JZA80' nomenclature, though, would be the DB22/DB42 etc nomenclature as that designates trim level and powertrain data.
The wikipedia article discussing it is surprisingly detailed:
That would be:
DB23 : 2.0 2019-present,
DB43 : 3.0 2019/20
DB03 : 3.0 2020-present

For us USA folks. ROW varies

·
Registered
1989 Sport Roof White Pkg 7M-GTE
132 Posts
Fact is kids aren't into cars anymore either.
This isn't completely true. A few weeks a young man, couldn't have been more than a year or two out of high school, made a U-turn in a grocery store parking lot in a Subaru WRX STI to pull in the space next to me. He got out and came toward me. He said "Sir, I'm sorry if I am bothering you but Oh My God, your car is amazing." I told him "No apology needed. I expect people to talk to me about the car and I appreciate you saying something."

Yesterday I was first in line to turn left and the far lane to my right across from me had a protected left so the car would be turning into the lane immediately to my left. The driver was a boy of high school age and I saw him smiling and looking at my car well into the point in the turn when he should have been looking ahead.

I've started keeping track of the days between when I can tell someone is either clearly noticing my car or actively saying something. The highest I usually get is two.

They are out there.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ok, but hearing/seeing something and going "damn, that's cool" is way different then wants and desires. Kids don't care about engines and mechanics, they care about tech and batteries

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
See my username for my thoughts on chassis codes, haha. :p

I for sure wouldn't say kids aren't into cars these days. My neighbor's kid is all of about two, he's gonna be a full on gearhead, I can already tell. Kids at our local autocross events LOVE going for rides, love the sounds, the smells, the sights... they're into it. Younger kids I know who are just getting into driving, I do everything I can to mentor them and keep them from making the same mistakes I made at their age. Some, it misses the mark a bit, but others? Others soak it up like sponges.

Don't fall into the grumpy old guy syndrome (though I know it's tempting!!!) that seems to start affecting people in their 30's and 40's... the kids will be just fine, just like they always have been.

Reactions: Mr Ree NZ

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah, I'm not crazy about the "new" trend of everyone referring to Supras by the chassis codes instead of the traditional MKII, MKIII, MKIV, MKV monikers. It feels a bit pretentious.

I bought a MKIII in 1992 and MKIV in 1999 and have always seen them referred to as such in Supra forums, Facebook, YouTube videos, etc. for 20 years until the MKV came out. Now I don't know what the heck I own anymore... 😆

·
Old Fart Supra Lover
147 Posts
I'm guessing the A90/91 BS was Toyota's deceptive attempt to make the uninformed believe the MKV was, somehow, a lineal descendant of the MA40, MA60, MA70 and JZA80 cars and, furthermore, took steps to ensure the dastardly letters "JZ" were not included in the MKV chassis designation.

Such a situation (including the letters JZ) would invite constant comparison to the JZA80 when it knew the MKV would be a badge-engineered BMW and bear no relation to the previous generation cars other than the "Supra" moniker. It did not appreciate that constant, inevitable comparisons would be made despite its best efforts.

Never revealing it was a BMW through and through until its official release, including the 86, but not prior generation Supras, in company-sponsored official reveal events and calling it an A90 when nothing could be further from the truth were all elements of a failed strategy to make the car something it's not and an attempt to fool the buying public while doing so.

For shame.

Ken.
On the nose, and well said, as usual. I would have hoped that the avalanche of negative feedback Toyota received for coming out as an 'A90' (that made it disappear pretty quick but not before infecting everything from forums to vendor websites) would have kept them from repeating the error in the A91, but marketing > common sense in some cases. And I think the resurgence (or emergence) of A40, A60, A70 and A80 is a little case of backlash by actual Toyota-made Supra owners to the GR Supra coming out as an A90 in an subtle effort to reclaim the heritage. I admit I am guilty of it, but only leave off the engine designator of the A60 and A70 when I am referring to the entire model production run. Not adding the 'JZ' to A80 is just dumb because there aren't any other options.

·
The Great Beast 666
572 Posts
I'm guessing the A90/91 BS was Toyota's deceptive attempt to make the uninformed believe the MKV was, somehow, a lineal descendant of the MA40, MA60, MA70 and JZA80 cars and, furthermore, took steps to ensure the dastardly letters "JZ" were not included in the MKV chassis designation.

For shame.

Ken.
it all went to shit when Akio, at the unveiling of the Zupra,called the car "totally lit".

·
The Great Beast 666
572 Posts
Seems I failed to fully explain myself

AW11, SW20, AE86, MA70, JZA80, these have always been common or somewhat common.

Nobody has ever called them W11, W20, E86, A70, A80 etc until the MKV's got marketed as A90's. And it fucking bugs me for some reason.
Ricers that assume that the Zupra is an actual Supra and the same ones that try to act as if they knew about the Supra for SO many years, when in reality they just heard about it on youtube.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don't fall into the grumpy old guy syndrome (though I know it's tempting!!!) that seems to start affecting people in their 30's and 40's... the kids will be just fine, just like they always have been.
No they wont. Various states and the Fed are starting to outlaw parts, like a stand alone ECU for example. It sounds as though the auto manufactures are getting cover from the Fed now to make cars inaccessible to work on let alone alter. That is also gonna crush independent shops eventually. Which is even weirder since most car dealerships are disappearing because of car internet sales. Who is gonna fix them for the average person? New cars are coming out and the manufactures arent even making new parts. When people come in with warranty claims they are getting parts from scrap yards. I dont know what the future will be for wrench heads but I know it wont be the same.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts