Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had mine on my car for a long time now but just thought about posting this! I have it hooked up the way MKIV.com states to do it for a blitz unit!

I have a DP, Super Dragger Exhaust, FMIC, AFC, and for some reason I can turn my boost controller about 3/4 of the way to max boost and I don't see a change in my boost what so ever and then if I change it a tiny bit more then all the sudden my boost is maxed out to about 21-22psi. If I turn it off I get the same boost as if I had it on at 3/4 to max boost (1/4 away from max boost) where I get from 18-20psi.

Is this normal? I know that with a DP and exhaust that I should be getting around 17-18psi with the unit off and I was wondering if anyone else experiences this as well?

Any comments are appreciated!

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
No way on god's green earth are you supposed to get 17-18 psi with the controller turned off. Turning the controller off should return u back to stock boost + a couple of psi due to the dp and exhaust. I put 3 hks ez in the past months on stock twins so i can tell you to make sure your switch on the back is set correct. Next make sure you have the #2 going to the turbo nipple and #3 to wastegate. on the cars that didn't have boost leak, off gives the car about 14 psi. Turning the knob on theirs have to be more then turning the knob on my single. Put the car in TTC and make sure your IACV and EGCV is working.

sid

·
Registered
95 Posts
The best way to find out if your turbos are working fine is to connect it back to stock and see if the boost only hits 15psi. If your still having problems mabey I could meet up with you sometime this weekend and give you a hand.

94TT BPU+
11.62 @ 121.11
Now T78 on Jack Stands

·
95Turbo
930 Posts
I had all the same problems w/mine. Dan at toyomoto was saying they are like that and are very hard to tune. Guess its just the part. I know i won't be getting it again. Profec B next time. It did turn down some though, but i hardly went over 19 psi anyways.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine works quite well, only problem is it spikes and then drops, but that's b/c it's the stock twins..........

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
I'm sure you checked all connections and vacum lines right?! I was getting strange spikes..etc - but I found that a vacum line had a hole in it.

I have an EZ controlling my T76...with NO issues at all. Tuned perfectly to 17psi...'till saturday that is ;)...I think it's about 1/4 way turned up...I'll have to check, since i'm still in SoCal.

Good luck,

Jay

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
I would not trust anyone who would tell u tuning an hks EZ is hard. They wouldn't call it EZ. Turn the knob watch the boost and call it a day. By far the best stepping motor on the market. I owned the Apex Avc-r. That thing was HARD but I managed with it. The EZ is designed to go up to 2.5 kg/cm2. My only problem is a get maybe .2 kg/cm2 by redline on my single. I just tune it for 1 kg/cm2 so when it hits 1.2 at redline and it is good.

Sid

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've used HKS EZ for 2 years now and here's what I'd learned:
HKS EZ is basically a manual boost controller, it has no electronic to control it, turning the knob on the unit if basically the same as turning the knob on a manual boost controller....therefore
temperature effects how much you boost.
you do not need to "tune" it...actually you do, but I wouldnt call it tuning. for BPU just set it at 12 or 1o'clock position and you're all set.
with it turned off, you shouldnt hit more than 16psi...well, on highway and higher gears I still hit 18psi but thats normal cuz of the engine load and DP.
another thing if you cant control your EZ boost or sometimes if overboost like to 25psi, that means your step-motor is goiing bad.
be sure to put the vacuum filter on because oil and dirt might get into step-motor and cause pre-mature failure.

if its bad, its cheaper to just buy another unit....I did my search.

thats all you have to know about EZ.

Jonas

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW, I've been having a problem lately w/ my EZ. I've been having to turn the knob to more like a 2 or 3 o'clock to get my 1.2 bar. In the past, it has been the normal 12 or 1 o'clock. Any suggestions?

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
air temperature.
at the same setting, my car will boost 16psi in a sunny afternoon, 18-19psi on a cold night. there is nothing wrong.
if you want consistancy, get a EVC4 or something similiar that actually has electronics to compensate boost level.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there a link on MKIV.com that shows the stock vacuum routing for the turbos?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts