Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contemplating doing a better brake upgrade into my 92 Supra for a while now. I have looked at many different options from Wilwood but they are all VERY pricey. After doing some digging I saw a few different posts about Evo brakes. A lot of people were saying that they bought a big brake kit for up front then put a set of Evo 5-9 brembo front brakes in the rear of the supra with 05-07 STI rotors.

Im wondering if you can swap the calipers from an Evo 5-9 into the Supra with 05-07 STI rotors both front and back. Can anyone confirm this or has anyone tried this? I saw a lot of posts about using evo fronts as supra rears but I am curious about doing the full swap. I would like to try this because it would save a lot of money to buy some used Evo calipers, and they are much better brakes then our stock mkIII brakes. Any input would help, I would love better stopping power, plus seeing those nice big brembos through my wheels would be badass...thanks.

·
Finally up and running!
4,001 Posts
There are the 03-04 cobra brakes that you can put up front, IIRC driftmotion still sells the brackets and lines.

·
Registered
905 Posts
A lot of people were saying that they bought a big brake kit for up front then put a set of Evo 5-9 brembo front brakes in the rear of the supra with 05-07 STI rotors.
Incorrect, you use both rears from the Evo/STI on the MKIII rear.

·
mc booster
1,033 Posts
yep i got willwood 6 pistions up front and evos in the rear. Pay up for brakes or don't drive your car fast. or just drill and slotted with ebc or portersfeild pads, bec lets be real most mk3s never see the track or above 100+ repeatedly.

·
4,934 Posts
Fronts will not work, they need a bracket for sure and that goes without saying they might need spacers or something. The rears do fit, there's a thread on here with a tiny bit of info and a big thread on SM about what needs to be done.

·
1,257 Posts
For a cheap alternative upgrade for the fronts you could pick up some early 90s Previa front calipers. Utilizes the same pads and stock size rotors but the calipers are twin piston.

Otherwise, Sethron makes a LS400 caliper BBK.

Calling Ron R.. He did the Evo brembos on his car, its rear only. Calipers bolt on directly, and he used 05+ STI rotors, which had to machined (center bore).
Other than modding the rotor, its a direct bolt on AFAIK.

I am in serious need of bigger brakes. I see 130mph+ almost everytime I drive my car, lol. Completely stock brakes, its in no way competent. This is the next major mod on my list.

Sam

·
4,934 Posts
Evo and STI upgrade are on mine as well, everything went on nicely ;) E-brake has worked for a few members but mine was junk and I need to buy new, uh, everything so I can't speak on that.

Sam, whats the diameter of the previa caliper pistons? Stock fronts is one 60mm piston...previa is dual 60mm? :D

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
Sidewinder ..i just bought a 91 supra with evo front braking system..did your calipers rub a little on the wheels?

·
4,934 Posts
You use rear rotors from the STI and rear calipers from the evo...I have RX7 16" rims, they don't rub but it's really close.

Don't think I took a picture of the rim on as well, although its in my driveway so not like it'll be a pain to get one.

·
mc booster
1,033 Posts
dang sam i was just kidding. lol but you going to texas? btw if you need brakes i say willwood 6 pistions. if you wanna take a ride or drive it let me know.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Just get aftermarket brakes.... this bastardization on other manufactures car parts is killing me...... I know I am not one to talk as I have a manual steering rack from a 5.0 but BRAKES..... seriously. I couldnt get a manual rack from Toyota.... brakes you can get anywhere/anytime.

Comon.......

·
4,934 Posts
A lot of aftermarket kits are randomly assembled bullshit that are just made to look fancy and work slightly better than stock. Almost all cars with performance in mind are equipped with (at the very least) decent enough brakes to stop from a high speed and last more than a few thousand miles, and best case they are some chunky, large radius rotors which just won't overheat.

There's too much of this 'THESE ROTORS NEED 20" RIMS TO CLEAR AND THEY ONLY WEIGH 7 LBS OMGWTFBBQ' crap going on lately because people don't know how to design anything. I know that's not what you're getting at but I needed to vent :)

·
Resetting
1,666 Posts
I see... What other cars can we find brakes from for the front I wonder?
Im going to be posting up a pair of brembos i was going to get brackets made for that are perfect for the front. As for what car they are off off it will be listed in the posting.

·
1,257 Posts
^^^ Keep me posted on that Jason!

Sam, whats the diameter of the previa caliper pistons? Stock fronts is one 60mm piston...previa is dual 60mm? :D
Don't quote me, but I want to say they have ~40+mm pistons..

dang sam i was just kidding. lol but you going to texas? btw if you need brakes i say willwood 6 pistions. if you wanna take a ride or drive it let me know.
Hahaha, yeah man I am planning on going. Are you going?
I'd love to check em out...I'm assuming you have the above mentioned wilwood 6-pistons? hmmm, pm me your number or message me on fb.

Just get aftermarket brakes.... this bastardization on other manufactures car parts is killing me...... I know I am not one to talk as I have a manual steering rack from a 5.0 but BRAKES..... seriously. I couldnt get a manual rack from Toyota.... brakes you can get anywhere/anytime.

Comon.......
Come on*

Yeah you can get brakes anywhere anytime...like say from an evo or sti? Is brembo not an aftermarket brand?
You're the one with ford parts on your car. lol

Sam

·
mc booster
1,033 Posts
really i cant tell you how good the willwoods are you gotta feel em. I cant post a link but arizona performance. look it up. trust i will make a vid 1 day. evo and sti front brakes arnt all supper good stock disk and what not. You gotta think that well yes our cars are under braked for the speeds and weight for hard driving but stis and evos weigh less then us and really thats all that matters. 2 peice rotors is were its at.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts