Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
If I may, the evo x mr has a tcsst gear box. Meaning is a dual clutch with different sport modes. It harnesses a dual clutch assembly to work as a automatic and a paddle shifter as well. Its an interesting clutch design as it engages like a typical clutch assembly with a clutch pedal but of course without the pedal.

Its obviously a quick shifter, it works great, more practical for daily driving use, and as of right now it doesnt hold power very well as the X MR doesnt take too well to mods. But of course give it sometime and it will eventually.

· 2JZ swapped!
1,305 Posts
Stay away from 4th gear. I've got an evo buddy thats on his 3rd 6-speed because 4th always goes out from abuse.

· Registered
913 Posts
Read a few reviews actually, where they found the car to be faster around a short track with the gearbox set to the most aggressive full auto mode than in full manual mode w/ paddle shifting. ymmv.

Not everyone needs to build up their evo into a 500+ hp whip as soon as they take delivery. I imagine the dual clutch gearbox will be favoured by some, but not by all. You need to test drive both and see which one is best for you.

· Aspiring viking
3,013 Posts
There seems to be some confusion in this thread. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression that the Evo X MR was only available with the TC-SST dual clutch automated manual gearbox. For example...

Stay away from 4th gear. I've got an evo buddy thats on his 3rd 6-speed because 4th always goes out from abuse.
Are you referring to the dual clutch gearbox or the 6-speed H-pattern found in the Evo VIII and Evo IX MR?

Back when the EVO X was first released, the owner of an EVO tuning shop (BOZZ Speed) was telling me how dissapointed he was in the strength of the new flappy paddle gearbox. He said it could not handle much power.
Any quantification to go with that? i.e. "In testing, he found that 4 out of 5 Evo Xs equipped with the TC-SST gearbox failed at 350 WHP (as measured by a Dynapack)."

Just like the original poster, unless we define terms like "much power" or "decent power," no one can accurately answer the question.

· Performance 1st Looks 5th
569 Posts
There is a reason why AMS and Buschur racing go with the 5 speed and NOT with paddle gear box (or 6speed in the Evo8/9) . The 5 speed is stronger and faster in a drag race. It really does not matter to what power level you are building the car. Choose whats stronger period.

Well, unless you cant drive a stick then by all mean. The paddle should be your choice.

· Aspiring viking
3,013 Posts
There is a reason why AMS and Buschur racing go with the 5 speed and NOT with paddle gear box (or 6speed in the Evo8/9) . The 5 speed is stronger and faster in a drag race. It really does not matter to what power level you are building the car. Choose whats stronger period.

Well, unless you cant drive a stick then by all mean. The paddle should be your choice.
:blah: This is a perfect example of nearly worthless advice based on assumptions made prior to having the important questions answered.

What if the OP never plans to drag race the car or make more than ~350 WHP, but does want something that's more convenient to drive in rush hour traffic (or that his wife will be willing to drive)? Or, alternatively, he wants to do HPDEs at "BPU" levels and values the track time improvements found by saving a few hundredths of a second a dozen times (or more) per lap?

· Performance 1st Looks 5th
569 Posts
:blah: This is a perfect example of nearly worthless advice based on assumptions made prior to having the important questions answered.

What if the OP never plans to drag race the car or make more than ~350 WHP, but does want something that's more convenient to drive in rush hour traffic (or that his wife will be willing to drive)? Or, alternatively, he wants to do HPDEs at "BPU" levels and values the track time improvements found by saving a few hundredths of a second a dozen times (or more) per lap?
You sound like you have the 6 speed...typical...sorry my answer does not justify your purchase..biased a little maybe? :blah:

If he cared about your "hundredth of a second"he will care about a strong transmission naturally. AMS's time attack cars AND drag cars are ALL 5 speed. But they dont know crap obviously since you seem to think a 6 speed is better for lapping. BPU or not, why choose something a bit less durable and cost more:dunno:.

Let me make myself more clear.. if an automatic was essential (or a big plus in his book) then by all means. In that case the negatives to the OP might out weigh the positive if he chose a 5 speed. If the car was just a mean of transportation then of course the paddle is easier on your foot in rush hour.

· Ticketing Ricers Evrywhre
2,193 Posts
IMO, I really liked the X MR with the paddle shift. My wife and took it for a test drive and for an all-out daily car, I would say hands down go for it! There are guys on EvoM.net making in excess of 400whp with the stock MR tranny without any problems thusfar.

· Aspiring viking
3,013 Posts
You sound like you have the 6 speed...typical...sorry my answer does not justify your purchase..biased a little maybe? :blah:
When I owned an Evo, it was an VIII with a 5-speed H-pattern.

If he cared about your "hundredth of a second"he will care about a strong transmission naturally. AMS's time attack cars AND drag cars are ALL 5 speed. But they dont know crap obviously since you seem to think a 6 speed is better for lapping.
The OP asked whether the gearbox was "good in town," making your race car examples less pertinent.

BPU or not, why choose something a bit less durable and cost more:dunno:.
Because there are pros and cons to every decision. I didn't say the SST was better than the H-pattern. I said it was useless to claim one is better than the other for the OP without more information on what he's looking for.

You picked up on this below:

Let me make myself more clear.. if an automatic was essential (or a big plus in his book) then by all means. In that case the negatives to the OP might out weigh the positive if he chose a 5 speed. If the car was just a mean of transportation then of course the paddle is easier on your foot in rush hour.

· Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I should clarify, I'm looking at the Evo X MR as a winter-only daily driver. Something I can have some "fun on the ice" with. The most mods I'd ever do would be coilovers, wheels/tires, and exhaust.

Since I wasn't going to shoot for 400+, I figured the dual clutch gearbox would be nice, since it shifts quickly and it seems it's actually pretty 'normal' in 'normal mode'.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.