Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jesus Wind
1,205 Posts
one of my friends has an EVO. i'll be sure to show him this. are you still running the stock clutch? from what i've read and my friends exspeirence their absolute shit. i've been helping him this weekend in between work to change the clutch and flywheel. that car is a BITCH to work on. lol.

nigel

·
Registered
497 Posts
I almost bought an EVO this weekend, but I changed my mind as I didnt want a car with that much potential to build for my daily driver. Two cars to build is more than sufficient, but this makes me think I need one after all LOL
How reliable is the AWD setup on these cars, under that much power? I had an AWD talon that wasnt nearly that stout, but it started to have issues with the center diff. How beefy is the EVO drivetrain compared to the older diamond stars? I actually rode in a mildly built EVO recently that "only" made around 340 at the wheels, but it sounded like one of the diffs was howling like a cat in heat (with 30k miles or so.) It sounded like the front diff from the location of the noise, but I dont understand why that would be the case. Anyway, it was enough to make me hesitant to want to buy one for fear of longevity. Id be scared to add another 160 whp and equivalent torque, if the car was already having issues. I hear that the '05 has a better front and center diff though.

·
Jesus Wind
1,205 Posts
lightspeed240 said:
I almost bought an EVO this weekend, but I changed my mind as I didnt want a car with that much potential to build for my daily driver. Two cars to build is more than sufficient, but this makes me think I need one after all LOL
How reliable is the AWD setup on these cars, under that much power? I had an AWD talon that wasnt nearly that stout, but it started to have issues with the center diff. How beefy is the EVO drivetrain compared to the older diamond stars? I actually rode in a mildly built EVO recently that "only" made around 340 at the wheels, but it sounded like one of the diffs was howling like a cat in heat (with 30k miles or so.) It sounded like the front diff from the location of the noise, but I dont understand why that would be the case. Anyway, it was enough to make me hesitant to want to buy one for fear of longevity. Id be scared to add another 160 whp and equivalent torque, if the car was already having issues. I hear that the '05 has a better front and center diff though.
the EVO transfer case isn't to good. if you rev it to high than launch hard you'll frie the transfer case. my friend with an EVO knows a guy who has fried 3 transfer cases. also if you shift to fast the transmission clicks really loud. also THE STOCK CLUTCH IS SHIT. myfriends had to be changed at 2x,xxx miles. the stock flywheel dosen't disapate heat very well. so your clutch gets all of the head. my friend changed his and put in a ACT lightweight flywheel and heavy duty clutch. his stock flywheel was SEVERAL different colors. you could tell were the heat had fucked it up. i would like to get one also but things like this push me away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts