Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have 4 or 5 holes on the head stripped out on the exaughast mani part of the head. what do i need to do to get it back right? and do i use stock stuff or will i need aftermarket studs (larger diameter) if any are made that is.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Helicoils. Find out what thread and pitch the stud is and then get a kit to fix it.

I put my exhaust header at like 45 pounds with helicoils. These things are great.

If ANYONE has their head out of the car, they should seriously consider doing this. It takes an hour and is ver yeasy to do.

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so heres my plan run to the yota dealer pick up some new studs and bolts run to oreily get the size and pitch and get a heli coil kit then slap the new studs in right?? i wont need a differnet size stud right?

·
Registered
79 Posts
mustangman05 said:
ok so heres my plan run to the yota dealer pick up some new studs and bolts run to oreily get the size and pitch and get a heli coil kit then slap the new studs in right?? i wont need a differnet size stud right?
It depends on if the heli coil kit is a different thread pitch and size.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
DO NOT USE BOLTS

Use studs.

Aluminum head + steel bolts = fubbared threads after removing the bolts a couple times from the heat cycles and expansion.

Studs with a high heat thread locker.

·
Registered
789 Posts
while doing my HG on my 87 turbo, i had a head off of a 1990 NA supra milled and rebuilt but while taking the exhaust manifold off all of the studs came out perfectly cuz the nuts were rusted fast to them. Got new studs and nuts from toyota and had no problems since.

However, if your less fortunate and the stud does strip i strongly recommend anti-sieze when putting the nuts on a heli-coiled stud and high temp thread lock when putting the stud into the heli-coil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts